New chicks from Ideal rare breed special

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scruffy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. scruffy

scruffy New Egg

Oct 14, 2011
    Here are our new chicks from Ideal. They are rare breed specials and I could use some help IDing them. I'm not sure if some of them are mottled javas, Exchequer Leghorns, or Anconas. The Anconas are the only one they show to have available, but they are not on the rare breed list. Thanks for your input and help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They don't need to show as "available" to have been included in your order. I know this because I signed up to be notified when available on something and the breed I requested was offered to me but was never changed to "available" on their site. So, they obviously had SOME, just not enough to open the ordering floodgate.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:I agree. I ordered their surprise pullet special and at least half (of what mine turned out to be) showed no available. You will honestly have to wait till they feather out to be 100% positive on all of them. As chicks a lot of breeds look alike, but you can narrow it down.

4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You have a lot of choices to narrow down from...looks like Ideal considers rare almost anything. They have a picture of a Delaware pair and Wyandotte pair with the Rare Breed special. Other pics include Barnevelder, Dorking, Orientals, Iowa Blue, and Kraeinkoppe.

So I'd expect almost anything except sex links, Barred Rock, RIR, NHR and White Leghorn. Your yellow chicks may be Buff Orps and your blacks Australorps. I wouldn't consider them rare breed, but then I don't consider Delaware or standard color Wyandottes rare breeds, either.

Please post in the future when they get older so we can see what you got!

5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Not too sure but that one in the middle of the top pic (variegated brown/gold) may be a speckled Sussex. The yellows may be Buff Wyandottes. Sometimes they toss in a few of the Very Rares in the Rare Assortment if they have them handy. Or at least that's what the really nice woman told me on the phone the other day when I called to check on the availability of some Polish for a friend of mine.

6. scruffy

scruffy New Egg

Oct 14, 2011
    If they are from Ideals rare breed list. I figure the brown one could be a Welsummers, light brown or rose comb leghorn, or chanteclers. The ones the are light colored with black backs would be Mottled Jave or Exchequer Leghorns. 3 that would be Dominiques or Marans. Yellow ones Buff Rocks, Buff Chanteclers, Buff Leghorns, or Buff Wyandottes. That would leave the 4 black ones white face black spanish or ?? I will post new pics in a few weeks.
    Thanks!!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You got a BEAUTIFUL assortment. Congrats!!

8. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    The yellow and black ones look just like my Ancona girl!

9. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Did they shipped the baby chicks or did you hatch the eggs?

10. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Read the first post. They came from Ideal. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by