New chicks given to us, breed possible gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tiffany, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Tiffany

Tiffany Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Here are the chicks we got yesterday. Any ideas on breed, Age and possible gender. There is one more a little taller and fatter than the others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. caseyleah

caseyleah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Looks like a Barred Rock... and I wanna say that its a female based on the dark wash down the front of its legs. Maybe a few days old?

3. Tiffany

Jul 8, 2010
    Lol they are 3 different chicks and thee fourth not pictured is taller and a bit fatter

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Definately barred something - that is what the yellow/white spot on the head means. I would say around 1 week old due to the amount of wing feathers.

5. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hello and how nice of you to join us. [​IMG] I hope you find loads of really helpful information here. Don't hesittate to ask anything and also there is a really handy search feature up there on the right.

Your chicks are probably Barred Rocks -- they also could be Domioniques, which are similar in color and temperament to Barred Rocks. I was told that the spot on the top of the head of a Barred Rock is larger on boys than on girls -- however, mine had a spot on the top of her head as big as a nickel and she turned out to be a girl -- so you can't believe everything your told.

How is it that someone just handed over three adorable chicks?

Jenny

6. Tiffany

Jul 8, 2010
    Quote:Thanks jenny this place is great. Ive been milling around since we decided that we wanted chickens and joined when we got them. The story of how we got them is adorable. We were at our local barnyard auction, you know calves, goats, chickens etc... This little boys grandma got him a box of like 20 chicks, and my girls and him were playing. He asked his grandma if he could give each of his friends one. Thats how we got them.

7. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Probably a barred something or other...

WAY too early to tell gender

8. Tiffany

Jul 8, 2010
    So about a week old? Man that is young. So that means to keep the brooder at 90 right? Everyone else think just a week old?

9. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    Quote:yep.

or 95*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
  10. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Gosh i wouldn't think they were more than a couple days old. They still have the feet are bigger than my head, bobble head kind of look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by