New chicks going outside

chicky68

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
South Jersey
I have 5 chicks that are about two and a half months old. I want to put them outside permanently. I have been putting them outside during the day in the Sun because it's been between 40-50 degrees during the day. However, I have not put them outside at night time yet. The temperature is going to be in the 30s tonight is it okay if I leave them out there? They're in a cage, they are covered, they have hay, wood chips, they have a box to go into with wood chips, there is a tarp over their cage and they are locked in there. I am concerned about the temperature what do you all think?

What kind of chicks are they? I had to look up what 30 farenheit was in celcius and it's -1...

I'm thinking minus temperature are a bit cold but they will huddle up and try to be in the warmest place so you might be alright.
My chicks usually have a hen to sit on them to it's fine for them...plus where I live it doesn't get that cold.
The only thing I'd to is try a warmer night if possible before trying them on minus temperatures.

I’ve had chicks at less than 6 weeks old spend the night I my unheated grow-out coop in temperatures in the mid 20’s Fahrenheit. Yours are almost twice that old. That temperature will not bother them.

I agree, if they can get out of the wind, they are going to be fine. You lasted with them a lot longer than me. I have a dozen chicks that are 2 weeks old, and mine have been outside since last Friday. They have a wooly hen, but yours would be way too big for that. Mine are thriving.

Mrs K

I’ve had chicks at less than 6 weeks old spend the night I my unheated grow-out coop in temperatures in the mid 20’s Fahrenheit. Yours are almost twice that old. That temperature will not bother them.

Agree... i have too. I had silkies out at 6 weeks with these temps. They did good:)

Back
Top Bottom