New chicks going outside

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicky68, Mar 20, 2017.

1. chicky68

chicky68 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    South Jersey
    I have 5 chicks that are about two and a half months old. I want to put them outside permanently. I have been putting them outside during the day in the Sun because it's been between 40-50 degrees during the day. However, I have not put them outside at night time yet. The temperature is going to be in the 30s tonight is it okay if I leave them out there? They're in a cage, they are covered, they have hay, wood chips, they have a box to go into with wood chips, there is a tarp over their cage and they are locked in there. I am concerned about the temperature what do you all think?

2. SunflowerTheBun

SunflowerTheBun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2016
    Victoria, Australia.
    What kind of chicks are they? I had to look up what 30 farenheit was in celcius and it's -1...

I'm thinking minus temperature are a bit cold but they will huddle up and try to be in the warmest place so you might be alright.
    My chicks usually have a hen to sit on them to it's fine for them...plus where I live it doesn't get that cold.
    The only thing I'd to is try a warmer night if possible before trying them on minus temperatures.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’ve had chicks at less than 6 weeks old spend the night I my unheated grow-out coop in temperatures in the mid 20’s Fahrenheit. Yours are almost twice that old. That temperature will not bother them.

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    They will be just fine! I wouldnt worry at all at that age.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I agree, if they can get out of the wind, they are going to be fine. You lasted with them a lot longer than me. I have a dozen chicks that are 2 weeks old, and mine have been outside since last Friday. They have a wooly hen, but yours would be way too big for that. Mine are thriving.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  6. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Agree... i have too. I had silkies out at 6 weeks with these temps. They did good:)

7. chicky68

Mar 21, 2014
    South Jersey
    Its not too cold. 39 degrees Fareheight. I think they should be fine.

8. chicky68

Mar 21, 2014
    South Jersey
    They are Australorps

9. rubyedmonds

rubyedmonds Just Hatched

Mar 16, 2017
    They will definitely be fine if they are fully feathered, and by that age they should be.

10. chicky68

Mar 21, 2014
    South Jersey
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by