1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

New Chicks! Happy Spring

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by countrydreamer8, Mar 20, 2015.

1. countrydreamer8

countrydreamer8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    I just got my very first chicks this morning and I'm so excited! I got 6 Buff Orpingtons and they're so adorable. They all seem to be doing great except for 1 she seems a little groggy. I was told that I should give her some time and if she didn't perk up to call the grain feed store back. Well he was right because it seems as though she must have had a pretty rough trip and she just needed some time to recuperate.

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Congratulations on your new chicks. [​IMG]

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on your new chicks!

4. countrydreamer8

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    I'm thinking that I might want to get a couple more chicks to make 8 count. Wouldn't it be smart to do this now while they're all young so as to discourage 'pecking'?

5. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    How many chickens can your coop hold? How many are you allowed to have in your city? It is tempting to fill our coops the first year but the truth is that it is often better to leave room for next years chicks. If you get new chicks every year or two you will have a more regular egg supply. It also leaves you room to decide later on that you want to try a new breed. That said if you do plan on getting a total of 8 chicks this year it is better to raise them together. They will bond better and you should have fewer issues in the future. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  6. countrydreamer8

Jan 27, 2013
    Brockport, NY
    Good Point. right now the coop I set up is only 4'x8' which allows for at least 8 chickens if I'm understanding everything I've read. However, you do make a good point by stating that I might want to add every year. I will have to think this through, thanks for the 'wisdom'

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes definitely think over the points Odelia gave you. If you do decide to get them, then definitely do it soon and before they establish the pecking order.

Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Are you free ranging your chickens during the day or keeping them in an enclosed run? The 4' sq. per bird is just for the coop which means your coop is the bare minimum size for 8 birds. More coop space would be even better as overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, fighting, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. If you are keeping them in an enclosed run, you need a minimum of 10' sq. of floor area per bird for the run which would be 80' sq. for 8 birds (again more is better). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by