New chicks hatched a day early!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sullivansteph, May 14, 2011.

1. sullivansteph

sullivansteph Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    OK- so I am brand new to all this. I burned up my first batch of 20 or so eggs by adjusting the temp too much- what a disappointment. So, I set up the new batch - 30 buff Lace Polish eggs, and 8 BB red Bantams. I did everything "by the book" this time and watched those little eggs like a hawk!!! So, imagine my surprise when I came in from work yesterday and I had 2 eggs with chicks coming out!!!!! And this was one day early according to my chicken calendar.

5 hatched yesterday on day 20. I woke up this morning to find that 2 more hatched during the night, and several more are on their way. This is soooo exciting. I am new so I can't post pictures yet, but I will soon. I just have to share pics of my new "little ones."

Question 1: Is this common for the eggs to hatch early? and
    Question 2: How long should it take for all the eggs to hatch?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Congrats and happy hatching!

Seems like my lighter weight breeds and bantam eggs always hatch on Day 20.
    Pip to zip can take no time at all or what seems like days- no rules on thet one, but I start worrying when it goes over 24 hours

3. sullivansteph

sullivansteph Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks for the info! It felt like Christmas morning when I found those eggs hatching!

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    post pics soon!

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

21 days is just a guideline! [​IMG] Enjoy your fuzzy butts! I'd wait until about day 25 before giving up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by