New Chicks Hatching!!! (Photos)

Scott

Ozark Bantams
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Southeast Missouri
My light brahma-black cochin cross hen (read about her here ) has been sitting on 12 eggs, which began hatching late yesterday afternoon. So far six chicks have hatched, and I hear definite peeping in several more eggs. This will be our third and probably last clutch of the year. That's if I can resist sitting more.

Last edited:

Scott

Ozark Bantams
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Southeast Missouri
She seems very proud...this is her first brood. I've got 15 eggs yet to hatch between two hens. I hear peeping in some of them. They are expected to hatch between today and the 26th. Keep your fingers crossed for a good hatch rate.

kristenm1975

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Seattle, WA
Do you have the hen and her babies in a heated structure or do you just leave it up to the momma to keep everyone warm? I've got babies hatching under a blue cochin standard this morning and it's chilly out where I live. Still debating on whether they need heat. What do you think?

Scott

Ozark Bantams
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Well, it's in the mid-90s here right now. I'm actually more worried about them over heating!!!

The mother hen is able to keep them warm, if needed. Did your hen hatch the eggs? If so, you have to keep in mind that she is able to keep the eggs warm enough to hatch, so she can keep the chicks warm as well.

Top Bottom