New Chicks Hatching Today--Have a Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nwfchickenman, May 12, 2011.

1. nwfchickenman

nwfchickenman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    NW Florida
    A couple of my hens have been sitting on eggs. They started hatching last night. I'm planning to let them raise them themselves. What do I need to provide for feed for the new chicks?

I did this before, but it's been about 20 years and I don't remember what I did.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Is a flockraiser type feed available where you live? My broodies hatch and raise their chicks in the coop, within the flock, so that's what I feed everyone (providing oyster shell on the side for my laying hens, of course). I have all ages in the coop and that way I don't have to worry about who is eating what.

If flockraiser is not available I would suggest chick starter, medicated or unmedicated; whichever is your preference. It won't hurt the hen to eat the medicated and since she won't be laying while she's raising her brood you won't have to worry about the med. getting into the eggs.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:True for the broody hen but not for other laying hens that might eat the medicated feed.

I generally do this the same basic way, unmedicated Starter for the first few weeks, then Grower after that, with oyster shell on the side.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:True for the broody hen but not for other laying hens that might eat the medicated feed.

I generally do this the same basic way, unmedicated Starter for the first few weeks, then Grower after that, with oyster shell on the side.

Oops, sorry. I was in a hurry this morning. I assumed that the broody would be segregated with her brood and would be the only one, besides the chicks, with access to the food.

5. nwfchickenman

nwfchickenman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    NW Florida
    Thanks, everyone.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

Oops, sorry. I was in a hurry this morning. I assumed that the broody would be segregated with her brood and would be the only one, besides the chicks, with access to the food.

Don't sweat it. Somebody else had my back on another issue yesterday. We are a community. We need each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by