New chicks! Help me figure out who's who!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chelsey, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Chelsey

Chelsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    Last weekend I went over the river and through the woods to pick up some BLRW and BLRW bantam chicks. Well, after seeing the rest of this guy's birds I ended up coming home with a few more than I originally planned on ;) Here are the possible breeds, though if there are chicks that look like a spitting image of a different breed that's possible too, as I was so overwhelmed with the different chickens he had and so excited that I couldn't remember all of the breeds he was showing me.
    • Wyandottes (both bantam and full size) - silver laced, gold laced, blue laced red, black, blue, potentially some other colors
    • Seabrights - silver and gold
    • Some sort of lavendar seabright-type bantam (old english something?)
    • Porcelain D' Uccle (probably butchered that spelling)
    • Americanas/Araucanas

Here's a link to the album that contains a bunch of pictures of his birds and my chicks: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.407630135988566.98244.100002247499850&type=3

And here are two group shots of some of my chicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I can tell you what to look for in the breeds

Wyandottes have messy faces as chicks. Blotches, masks, etc. They usually look like they got into a paint fight. They also tend to be rolly polly round.

Sebrights will have rusty orange shading on their faces if they are golds, and the silvers are really obvious right away because they go straight to lacing when they feather (you can see them in the middle in the second pic)

D'Uccles will be the easiest. They have feathers on their legs. None of your other breeds will. Done and done.

The two problem breeds are the lavendar game you mentioned, and the 'Ameracaunas' (most likely EEs instead). They will be silver in color, perhaps with 'chipmunk' lines down their backs.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if all his chickens run together like they are in the pics then you most likely just paid for a whole bunch of mixes...what this seller calls a lavender sebright is really a lavender old english game bantm the porcelain that he has pictured look more like lavender mottleds as they seem to lack the light creamy coloring. the ameraracuna are really ee as well

4. Chelsey

Apr 15, 2012
    They don't all run together. For the most part they're all in separate runs, except for the group of bantams in with the porcelains, and he was totally upfront with that. He didn't call them lavender seabrights, I did because I couldn't remember what they were called. They reminded me of seabrights in their body shape but were lavender in color. My mistake :( He went around to a bunch of different pens and let each group out one at a time so that I could see them better (they were all in chicken tractors that weren't big enough for a person (or people) to go inside), and then put them back up.

5. Chelsey

Apr 15, 2012
    I've taken some more recent pics of the chicks, they're starting to get feathers in :) If anybody's interested in looking...

6. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I would love to see more pictures. Could you separate them by breed and get close ups.

7. Chelsey

Apr 15, 2012
  8. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    I see a few BLR(splash colored) chicks, and maybe a GL or black-laced, of the BLR.

9. flockers

flockers New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Calhoun ga
    I am new can someone please tell me how to post a new thread sorry for using yours thanks

10. flockers

flockers New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Calhoun ga
    Any ideas of what kind this might be I thought I got all rir but this one does not look like the others[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by