New chicks, how much feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Saltcreek, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    South Central Ohio
    In April I will be picking up my first chicks, 15 Welsummers. I will be using Purina Start & Grow (only other choice is DuMore). I will be starting them in the basement, and moving them to the chicken house and tractor when they grow enough. I don't want to end up with left over starter feed. How much feed can I expect them to use?
    Any Idea how much Layena 15 grown chickens use if they can be out in a chicken tractor? Probably seems simple unless you never did it. [​IMG] Thanks.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No need for leftover starter. Just mix it with the grower when the time comes. Lots of people do this anyway, to get them used to the new feed gradually. There isn't enough difference between them to worry about it. I would buy a 50# bag because it's cheaper in quantity and they would get it all.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I feed starter until time to feed layer. I switch when they are about 16 weeks old, or whenever the starter is out.

My 12 laying chickens will go through roughly a 50# bag a month, but they get out to free-range. I've heard of much higher consumption levels.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  4. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

My nine chicks went thru 30 ln of starter in a month. We have lost three but they are bigger and eat more now so we are at seven weeks and almost done with the second bag of 25 lb. I got a deal on them as they were ripped, normally I buy the 50 lb bag too. You will need it. They eat a lot. And are messy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by