New chicks!!! I am so nervous!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ashleyrae211, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ashleyrae211

ashleyrae211 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    I keep checking on them every time they make a funny noise.....or NO noise! I hurry to check just to see that they are sleeping! Then I make a noise and they look at me like...hello, we are napping!

2. ashleyrae211

Feb 9, 2012
    Do they usually full out sleep?? I just got them home about an hour ago, they were no stop moving, eating and drinking, now they seem to just be resting in the heat and dosing off. Is this normal, or are they cold?

3. Sunnysimplelife

Sunnysimplelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    SoCal
    My Coop
    I have four five week old chicks and yes they sleep a lot at first especially at night. Mine slept all night which was great because they were in my bathroom.

4. hooadefender

hooadefender Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    ely, vt
    right there with ya got mine home about the same time mine are doing the same thing think of them like kids they run run run then its nap time then run eat poop drink run nap time they will be fine

5. hooadefender

hooadefender Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    ely, vt
    when they gwt cold they will huddle up close and shiver but take in mind they will huddle for security also

6. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    Chicks sleep a lot and suddenly, they can be peeping away and running about come to a stop and be asleep within seconds, this is quite normal. If they are constantly asleep and lathargic then you might have a problem, but going from hyper to passed out in less then a minute is very normal.

7. soffeann1997

soffeann1997 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Thats cute.

8. ashleyrae211

Feb 9, 2012
    Thank you all! They started eating and drinking and running around only after 15-20 of naps. :)

9. red hen in the rain

red hen in the rain Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2012
    Swisshome, Oregon
    Mine little 4-day olds are the same way. Doze off with beaks in the feeder even, then wake up and go running around like .....well.....little kids!

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    That is normal. If you watch them long enough and stay still, you'll see their heads droop just before they tip forward and go *plop*.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by