New chicks in September?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChembearChic, Aug 12, 2013.

1. ChembearChic

ChembearChic New Egg

Apr 4, 2013
    I lost three of my girls, I think to a neighbor's dog. My problem is replacing these chickens. They were 12 weeks old and my neighbor has offered to replace them. I've looked online to purchase pullets but they seem really expensive to ship. So I was thinking about replacing with the minimum number of baby chicks I can order from McMurray. My question is, do I get the chicks now and keep them inside for the winter (I live in Maine, it gets wicked cold here). Or do I wait till spring and then order them. Or do I bite the bullet and get the pullets. I don't want to be totally unreasonable because I think $100 for shipping is very expensive.

Cindy

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yeah I'd never expect someone to pay that much. I'd just get them now. Depending on when they'd arrive they would be fully feathered by November and fully feathered birds are tougher than people think. There are also birds that handle cold well, like barred rocks which are my favorite breed.

Best of luck and welcome to the site!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Option #1. Let you neighbor order & pay for chicks/pullets of your choice. Letting them do the legwork can solve a lot of questions as to costs of replacing chicks/pullets. They may like it so much they will want chickens. Who knows.

Option #2. Print the web page of your desired available chicks costs. And have them chip in their part or barter for whatever you both want.

Wish you the best new chicks. And hopefully good neighbors too.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If you order them now they'll be laying by spring. They will feather in before it gets cold. Do any of the hatcheries have the breeds you are interested in?

5. ChembearChic

ChembearChic New Egg

Apr 4, 2013
    I found chicks at Murray McMurray hatchery that I would like to get. I'll let my neighbor know what I have found out and let her have the option to buy the chicks or the pullets or find something equal. Thanks for the input.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Have you thought of looking for pullets locally? That would avoid the brooding/chick thing.

Has the problem with the dog been fixed?

7. ChembearChic

ChembearChic New Egg

Apr 4, 2013
    I wouldn't know where to look locally. The problem with the dog has not exactly been resolved. I will have to keep the chickens penned up until I can fence in part of our yard. I'm still communicating with the owners hoping they will do more to contain their dog.

8. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    In terms of looking locally you can check craigslist. You just have to be careful. I found a great resource relatively nearby that way.

9. ChembearChic

ChembearChic New Egg

Apr 4, 2013
    Quite frankly I think I shouldn't have to work so hard to replace my chickens. I'll let them decide what they want to do with the information I have. If they want to look for a reputable breeder in the area then they can do the leg work. As it is I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep their dog away from my chickens and still have my chickens have a happy life. They loved being able to run and play.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And that's a great way to look at it, also! I was thinking of that when you were talking about $100 shipping.........thinking that might motivate the neighbor to keep their darn dog off your property. Most folks, you hit them in the pocketbook and they realize things are serious. Just didn't know what type of relationship you have with said neighbor and if you wanted to go that route or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by