New Chicks, Intestinal Upset in Humans??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TomOBedlam, Jan 20, 2008.

1. TomOBedlam

TomOBedlam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2007
    Colbert, GA
    Ever since a few days after I brought my baby chicks home, there's been some...intestinal upset going around in my family. My three-year old started the day after the chicks came home, with nausea and diarrhea. DH and I had some of the diarrhea, but quickly recovered. The wee one improved in a few days, but has hung onto the diarrhea.

Now...it's quite possible he just picked up an especially tenacious stomach flu while out at the playground or somewhere.

We're aware of basic biosecurity, and have tried to be as careful as possible with handwashing and ESPECIALLY being careful if he actually has contact with the baby chicks. They're in the basement now, and he's only gotten to see them a few times, with careful sanitation every time.

Still, is is possible he could have picked up something from them? Or am I being paranoid and blaming the poor chooks for something entirely human, and entirely coincidental?

Thanks so very much for helping put my fears to rest!!!

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Sounds like a flu bug to me, and just coincidental.

As long as he doesn't kiss the chicks or put his hands in his mouth after touching them or their area I don't see that he could catch anything.

Julie [​IMG]

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    I, too, was paranoid about getting something from the chickens, but the truth is you get more germs going to Walmart and touching a shopping cart there than you get from your chooks. Just make sure everyone washes up and does not put fingers in mouth and should be fine. [​IMG]

4. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:Yeah. I always spray down the newly purchased toys that are not fully protected. You never really know what the previous person was touching when they picked up your kid's toys NOR do you want to really see what they did... [​IMG]

Top 10 Slogans for Wal-Mart Wine

By DAVID LETTERMAN

10. "When Kmart Wine Just Won't Do"

9. "I Can't Believe It's Not Wine"

8. "Show Your Friends How Little You Care"

7. "Kills Germs on Contact"

6. "Recommended by 4 Out of 5 Drifters!"

5. "Crack Open a Can Today!"

4. "Fresh From the Vineyards of Aisle 6"

3. "Here's to Making Bail!"

2. "Feeling Down After Being Thrown Out by Britney?"

1. "Goes Great With a 20-Dollar Hooker"

5. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    Gonzo, those are hilarious!!! "Kills germs on contact"!!!

I'm gonna laugh about that for days...

Matt

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It could be coincidence and a basic stomach virus, but Campylobacter comes to mind so I feel it should be mentioned. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/campylobacter_g.htm

You
    can get this from undercooked food and poor food handling, as well as thru direct contact with chickens. The only way to confirm is to have your own or dd fecal sent to the lab by your doctor.

There are other possibilities as well, like E.Coli and Salmonella. Good hygiene is important and it sounds like you are following that well. Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

Jody

7. mel58

mel58 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    I've been wanting to post a thread like this but have been too embarrassed [​IMG]

every time I have baby chicks inside, my *poo* will start smelling like chicken poo. it absolutely disgusts me that I am getting something from them in me. this time I even bought antibacterial soap and also soap with bleach in it and I use both plus a scrubby brush dipped in bleach water and it happened AGAIN today. it usually only lasts a day or two and I feel just a little run down and nauseous but I am totally repulsed.

I never handle the chicks at all. I only touch anything to fill up water or food. how are they rest of you not getting anything? I can't believe how surgically careful I've been this time and yet its happened 3 times in the 5 weeks I've had chicks inside.

I'm going to have to stop raising them inside which means in indiana summer chicks only if I can't find a system outside. that and wearing rubber gloves all the time I touch something and bleaching them out between uses.

ok, I need a horribly embarrassed smiley [​IMG]

8. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think it's your nose that is tricking you. Probably still loaded with particles of feathers and dried chicken poo from visiting and having the birds walk around their own filth. I smell it too when I am walking around the house. It's sorta disgusting and I almost chucked it up this afternoon at work (I only visited them in the morn!)

I guess when you have the outside when the breeze can float all of the particulate matter away will you smell the real clean fresh auto exhaust of the streets.....mmmmm...ahhhh !

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  9. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    chickens are filthy lil buggers, not the best company for hypochondriacs and germaphobes. Might consider getting a cat. They are about as clean as animals get, and still theres the feces. There is always the feces.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ugh! Thanks for reminding me about my cat....licking her paws after using litterbox and then lick you or her fur and you pet it......

I dont think you can get so sick from handling chicks or chickens as long you use the proper washings and the kids will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by