New Chicks into Recent Young Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brian, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Hi all. I have 16, five week old chicks. A friend may be getting a few chicks at the local feed store soon. She currently has 5, five week old chicks. If she does get some more (and maybe, just maybe I'd get a couple more), say 4-5 weeks from now, would I be able to add them into my young flock? If so, just keep them separated for a few days? Would there be a favorable age for adding them in??? A best age, if you will? Advice?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have to stress that you should keep them apart for a few weeks to watch for signs of unknown illness.

The chicks are better off being near the same size before you mix them. A small chick in with a 10 week old chick can be peck and killed easily. They can't defend themselves.

3. Brian

Brian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    That's good advice Miss Prissy, and I totally agree. I was thinking that chicks would be brooded separate (in another building), and watched, for approximately 4 weeks, then, placed in a netted brooder next to the more mature birds for a few days, then united. What do you think of that plan?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by