New Chicks into Recent Young Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brian, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian Songster

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    Hi all. I have 16, five week old chicks. A friend may be getting a few chicks at the local feed store soon. She currently has 5, five week old chicks. If she does get some more (and maybe, just maybe I'd get a couple more), say 4-5 weeks from now, would I be able to add them into my young flock? If so, just keep them separated for a few days? Would there be a favorable age for adding them in??? A best age, if you will? Advice?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have to stress that you should keep them apart for a few weeks to watch for signs of unknown illness.

The chicks are better off being near the same size before you mix them. A small chick in with a 10 week old chick can be peck and killed easily. They can't defend themselves.

3. Brian

Brian Songster

Sep 30, 2007
    Jacksonville, ORegon
    That's good advice Miss Prissy, and I totally agree. I was thinking that chicks would be brooded separate (in another building), and watched, for approximately 4 weeks, then, placed in a netted brooder next to the more mature birds for a few days, then united. What do you think of that plan?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: