1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicks just hatched! KNow idea of breed but have a list of possible subjects.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by indiegurl, Aug 6, 2014.

1. indiegurl

indiegurl New Egg

Apr 3, 2013
    So we have just hatched out some cute little chicks under our black sex link ( I know, right?), all is well, 4 days and introduced into the flock on day 2. This was my first hatch and I let Mother do everything at her pace and glad I did. She keeps them right behind the coop in the corn field, I presume she is really smart as this is her little protection area. lol

Anyways, I have no idea what I have here. One was "suppose" to be a silkie but with the white skin, is clearly not. Leg hair, so maybe some kind of cross?? I am also wondering if the two brownish ones with stripes are different as one is lighter then the other. To young for gender being 5 days, but I am hoping for a Roo! The Father is apparently an americana, does this mean colored eggs?

Also, the guy I bought them off of still has an add up with the possible breeds, so this should help. :) Here it is then on with the cute pics.

Chicken Daddy has hatching eggs for sale
    Nice mix of
    Welsummer
    silkie
    barred rock
    Barnevelder
    Black and red sex link
    Columbian
    Wyandotte

With americana pappy

Number 1, this was suppose to be a silkie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our black/white one
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The two brown ones, hoping for a difference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. indiegurl

indiegurl New Egg

Apr 3, 2013
    Anyone?

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Sounds like all of the chicks are a mix. I would also bet that the "americana" pappy is actually an easter egger (a mix breed itself that should carry the color egg gene). The one with feathered shanks probably is a silkie mix as the silkie is the only hen with feathered shanks (unless pappy has them also). In a few months you can do updated pictures and we might be able to a better guess on who was who's mom. Good luck and enjoy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by