new chicks just laying there

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wanttobefarmer, Jul 5, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I just bought a white silkie, a black silkie, and a white EE from the feed store. They came from Ideal poultry. This is my third set of chicks to buy from a local feed store. They were all very active with the other chicks at the store but after the 2 minute drive home they've done nothing but lay where i put them in the brooder. (actually a plastic tub with a heat lamp in the bathroom) they are 2 weeks old and the thermometer in the tub reads 86 degrees. I put a teaspoon of sugar to in the water to help with shock and i dipped all of their beaks in the water twice. I haven't seen them drink on thier own. The most lethargic is the EE. they have been home for 5 1/2 hours. All of my other chicks were active and loud. here are a couple of pics[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Any advice>?

2. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Perhaps the brooder could be a little warmer. I kept mine at about 95 for the first week and lowered it five degrees each week after that. Mine were active once I got them home, and are great, healthy, five week old chicks.

Edit: Now that I've reread your post, I see that they're two weeks old. Hmmm, maybe someone else can help.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    That's quite odd. At 2 weeks of age I wouldn't think they would be that fragile. It sounds like you have them at the right temp. If they were mine, I would let them be. If they are ill, there's not much that you can do about it. They may be very stressed or tired from the move. Just keep the food and water close by and the temp where it is. Keep you eye on them to see if they exibit any other signs of illness. Maybe somone else has more experience & will advise you better?

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Babies do sleep a lot. Temps should be 95 first week, then a five degree dip each week thereafter. As long as they have food, water, and adequate heat, they should be okay. i see you have pictures of them in the brooder, and then out on the floor. Babies need to be in the brooder under heat 24/7 for at least four weeks.

5. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Hopefully they just need some rest from the move. Maybe a little more heat and lots of rest.

hope they get better

6. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    All three batches of our chicks bought from feed stored arrived completely exhausted. The set ups they have them in are noisy and over crowded. I think it just means they're now comfortable and are catching up on sleep. Chicks do sleep a lot anyway and at seemingly randoms times.....sometimes ours would go from feeding to a sleeping face plant. In a few seconds. All ours survived, so I think you're probably ok.

7. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    thanks so much everyone. i just need to hear someone else say what i'm already thinking. it helps

8. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    My silkies are the same age as yours, and they are more mellow than the others, put a soft stuffed animal in there with them, I know it sounds weird, but I have read it on here and tried it today and they all love it. They are probably just content with the peace and quiet. Keep a close eye though and look for any blood in their poo or if they haven't eaten or drank in a few more hours...

9. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    thanks everyone they are all doing great. really appreciate the support.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by