1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chicks leg wont work!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pulletmom#1, Dec 15, 2011.

1. pulletmom#1

pulletmom#1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    i just hatched 3 chicks that seem perfectly healthy but, one cant seem to stand up without rolling over on its back. its alittle smaller then the other two and its eyes dont seem to want to open up either. its the right leg that doesent work right. do you think it will recover from this? other then that it has lots of energy.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. ILOVELEGHORNS

ILOVELEGHORNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I wouldnt worry to much about the little guy. Probably from being in the wrong position for some time while in the egg. I have had some hatch out like that and they recover wonderfully. Try giving him some electrolytes for chicks if he will take it. If you don't have any off hand, sugar water should do the trick. Now, if his leg doesn't get any better after half a day, I would consider a condition called "Splay leg" There are remedies for that as well, such as splinting with a bandaid cut the long way. Just in case, I will post the link which will give better instructions and how to-photos.
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

3. pulletmom#1

pulletmom#1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    thank you so much. as of this morning the chick is walking much better. it still falls some and rolls over on its back and then the others grab at its toes and feet. im watching them closely to say the least. thanks for the link also!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with ILOVELEGHORNS. I have had some too that had trouble walking. Some improved on their own and some I did put the band-aids on. I think everyone who hatches chicks will have this happen at one time or another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by