New Chick's Legs Not Strong

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
I just got six peeps on Monday that were hatched the same day by a broody hen. One of the chicks' legs are not very strong. She can walk but with effort. She'll go a little ways and then stop and sorta sink back down on her behind and her legs will just sorta slide out to the side. She stays like this most of the time. She has eaten some starter but she's not really losing her puffy baby belly like the others yet. Anyone dealt with this? Will she get better?

Hi...sorry to hear about your little guy
sad.png
I received some chicks from Ideal last week, and one of them was doing the exact same thing. So I posted this...https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81108 I just made sure my chick drank water (I helped him), I bandaged his legs up, and the next day he was much better, and today he's running around like the rest of them!
wee.gif
I've still got his bandages on though...got to take them off and check him. Good luck!
fl.gif

Oh yeah...thanks again to MissPrissy...she's a gem!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Last week I had a baby guinea hatch out of incubator with the "spraddles" so badly he couldn't walk.
I looked up the info. on here and did the bandaid thing for 1 day. Took it off and he walked a little wobbly for awhile but is fine now!
The others were picking on his bandaid in brooder box so I put him in a little bug cage (in the brooder) overnight.
The kind made of mesh and plastic ends you can buy at Dollar store. Kind of his own isolette care unit!

Along with the bandaid treatment you can boost the chicks with some quik chik in their water. You can also give 3 drops of polyvisol liquid infant vitamins by beak for 5 days for a nutritional boost to help the chick along as its legs grow stronger. place the drop along the side of the beak. Do not try to force the beakopen and don't get it in their nostrils - they will drown. You can also give it a little yogurt for good probiotics. Good luck with your baby.

Thanks for the link. I am going to try the band-aid thing. I've been watching him/her closely and was happy to see it drinking water on its own today!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom