New Chicks (mabey)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WildDoeDeer, Dec 3, 2014.

1. WildDoeDeer

WildDoeDeer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    So I have been thinking about getting two more baby chicks for my coop.
    I have found a Black maran and a Easter Egger but I'm not sure.
    I want a chicken that lays different color eggs (because I like knowing what hen it came from)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    with the pecking order going on in my coop I'm scared that if I get these chicks they wont be as friendly as my Buff orphington

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Don't just dive into more chickens before considering it first. First of all, your two hens will not welcome them with open wings. They will attack and possibly kill them if not introduced properly. You need to introduce the new birds using the "see but don't touch" method. Do this once they reach 9-12 weeks old. Put them in a separated area next to the other hens so they can see but not reach each other. Do this for about 2 weeks or more. Then once they are let lose together, make sure they have lots of water and feed stations as your older hens will hog the feeders and starve the babies.

EEs lay basically all color eggs! They are truly unique! Australorps are great also. If you tame them while they are young then they will be friendly like your buff orp.

Good luck!

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. They probably won't be quite as friendly as your Buff Orpington (very few breeds are) but they are both generally docile breeds that shouldn't create any real problems in your flock, and you will definitely get some different colored eggs from those two (assuming they are both female); chocolate eggs from the Maran, and likely some shade of green eggs from the EE (although they could be blue, beige, pale pink, or ever gold). How old are your Orpingtons? You can't put chicks in with older birds or they will be killed. And even when your new birds are older, you need to introduce them very slowly and carefully to your Orpington flock. There is a good article on introducing new chickens to an existing flock at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new chicks.

4. WildDoeDeer

Dec 2, 2014
    My orphington and Aracana are the same age both hatched and born same day, I got both of them last Easter.

5. WildDoeDeer

Dec 2, 2014
    thank you, I will consider your idea, though I was going to get both of the chicks the same day I got my Buff and Aracana.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Mountain Peeps X2 Let chicks grow up to be at least 3 months of age before mixing. Use the see but can't touch method during their growth. Keep them in the coop and run the entire time as they grow but separated. When you do mix them in, add more feeding and watering stations as the older flock is going to chase them away from the food and water. Be aware that there will be aggression toward these babies for some time after mixing.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

X2 on the above posters.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member