New chicks meeting old hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by YOOPER FLOCK, Aug 24, 2013.

1. YOOPER FLOCK

YOOPER FLOCK Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    We have 5 one and a half year old layers. Just started raising 12 more. Till this point, they have been separated. Today we tried mixing the young chicks with the old. Bad idea... The first chick out got chased and pecked until we could catch it and get it away from the hens. When and how should we try mixing them again?

2. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Awe poor baby :-( I also have new chicks about 5 weeks old and thinking soon I'm going to let them all be together. My big girls are only 25 weeks old tho. Are yours free ranged? I've heard to let them all out together and then they will go to sleep together. but the pecking order happens regardless. hope it doesnt last too long. Also giving them treats or scratch to keep them too busy to peck! Ugggg good luck! And let us know how it goes!

3. YOOPER FLOCK

YOOPER FLOCK Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Our chicks are 6 weeks old. No free ranging. They are in a 24x16 pen with a 8x6 raised henhouse in one corner. Think we'll give them a few more weeks and try feeding the older birds while they are being introduced. [​IMG]

4. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Nice area outside! Yea I think distracting them might help! Corn on the cob or a head of cabbage will keep them busy :) good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by