New chicks meeting the dog :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by primalchick, Mar 8, 2012.

1. primalchick

primalchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I have 10 two week old chicks (5 GLW's and 5 SLW's), my first chicks! so exciting!, and I decided to let the dog "meet" them yesterday. She was fascinated! I got a quick pic with my phone, a few of my chickies were so brave LOL They seemed quite interested in her too.

[​IMG]

Any tips for training your dog to be nice to chickens? Mine was good in this meeting, no aggression but I didn't let the chicks out of their brooder either. I'd like them to have some free range time during the day once they are old enough to go outside, so I need to make sure my dog plays nice with them.

2. sachsr

sachsr New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    I've been monitoring the contact between the dogs and chicks. They all run around the backyard without issue after a few weeks. Surprising our lab wants nothing to do with the chickens, and the poodle tries to act like a chicken and blend in with the two chickens. I think we got lucky.

3. sachsr

sachsr New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Congrats on your new chicks!

5. primalchick

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Thank you!!

sachsr > Your dog is adorable! I love Labs :) We are planning to adopt a new dog from a rescue this summer and are looking for a Lab or Lab mix. Good to know yours is good with your chickens! My dog is obsessed with staring at them when I let her in the room, not sure if she'd attack them or not if they were out of the brooder. I think she'd at least try to chase/play with them.

6. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I actually have already begun training the dog long before the chicks are hatched. I started by calling her "Momma Hen" and asking her "Are you going to be a Momma?" This gets her interested. Then we introduced her to the brooder. We have her "LOOK" inside. She puts her paws on the side and looks on command. I also stated playing chicks peeping on the computer and asking her again about being a "Momma Hen" etc.

When we introduce her, we're going to say things like "The chicks are here!" She understands a lot because we are constantly training her. We will include her in everything to do with the chicks. I want to establish a strong bond, protective bond... between both the chicks and dog. Lots of exposure will hopefully cause them to imprint on her. That's my overall objective. The earlier the exposure for both, the better for both.

I am a certified dog training instructor. So we do this stuff automatically and don't even think about it. It's just how we all do things here.

7. primalchick

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada

Wow, fantastic advice! Thanks so much! I have done obediance training, rally o and agility with Lucy (dog) so she is good with her commands and has been good about just sitting and staying in the room by the brooder and watching them. I just worry if I let them free range later on (which I want to do!). She is really good with the horses, but I think that's probably a totally different situation in her mind than chickens. I like your idea about building a bond with her and chickens, and including her in everything! I have been taking her with me every time I go in there and I will keep doing that. Thanks so much for your advice!

8. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    My dogs love the chickens! Although they don't like when the chickens decide to peck 'em on the nose [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  9. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Practice everything you want to do in a smaller scale before going big. Practice doing a little contained free ranging indoors. Keep your sessions short at first. Just a few minutes to begin. But as trust is built, then add time and watch the interaction. The chicks will naturally be drawn to the dog. If the weather warms and you take them for a little bit out doors, make your dog "responsible" for their safety. She may not entirely understand, but will catch on... especially since she's had training before. Dogs love to learn new things. Reward often, say "good dog" and use treats when the dog does exactly what you want. This is training after all, you won't treat forever... just during the initial training process. The chicks will learn along with the dog. You can also reward them too by handing them some of their feed or treats if they are older and receiving treats.

10. primalchick

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Squawkbox > Your dogs are wonderful! Love their expressions :D

Wonderful! Thank you again :) I can use my porch to do some "free ranging" inside. It's still too cold and snowy here to bring them outside, but hopefully soon. You've given me a great little project to work on with Lucy now. I love your positive training methods!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by