New Chicks, Need Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 303hunter, Nov 4, 2015.

1. 303hunter

303hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I've got 3 silkie hens and 1 rooster in a pen. 2 of the hens have been sitting, and the eggs are hatching. One chick is dead, and I'm afraid for the rest. Should I put them in my brooder, or let the hens take care of them?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Unfortunately some chicks just aren't destined to make it. That may be what happened. Or, it may have wandered or got kicked out of the nest and gotten chilled.

Have you observed the hens to see how they're behaving with the chicks? Are they killing them or does the death seem to be accidental? Have they been broody before? Could the hens be fighting in the nest?

I leave mine to do the chick rearing, its so much easier. I don't have to pay for the electricity to keep them warm, tend to an extra pen or introduce them to the flock. But, nit all mother hens are made equally. Some of them are horrible, others are wonderful. If I were in your position, I'd probably go out and sit for a while and watch their behavior. If theyre harming the chicks, pull them as they hatch and put them in the brooder. If they seem attentive, leave them to it. Have you checked to see if there are any hatched, still living chicks under them?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  3. 303hunter

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    Chicks are peeking from under hens, then going back under them. Dead chick is away from the rest.

4. 303hunter

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    Hens are doing well with chicks. Chicks are active and eating. One more chick is very weak, and I made the mistake of putting it back under the hen. I got pecked several times!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by