New Chick's Nervous about pecking...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pjbarb, Aug 10, 2008.

1. pjbarb

pjbarb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hello all, I was the one with the pullet's pecking each other and it was out of control. After month's and month's of trying not to mention alot of money. I gave up and got all new chick's. Now I am paranoid, the chick's came as I requested "debeaked" they are 3 days old and I already have one isolated. She seemed to be pecking at all of the other one's beaks! Not just a little but running from each one to the next. My wife and kids are mad because I isolated her, am I being to over-protective. Any hints with the new chick's so I don't have another plucking nightmare?

Thanks, Paul

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The warming lamp should be red (not white) as that helps prevent them from seeing the red pin feathers that are growing.

Give them lots to do: treats, little things to play with (cat toys are good), crickets from the pet store, and weeds from the garden to explore. An ear of corn should keep them very busy once they figure it out.

Isolating was good. Try putting another chick with her to see how they do together and to prevent her from being too lonely. If that doesn't work, put a little stuffed animal & mirror in with her.

Good luck!

ETA - BTW, you didn't say how many you have nor how big their brooder is. They should have lots of space & it should seem like too much - they'll grow into it in a week or two. If you've got a lot and some aren't eating, put in another feeding station.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  3. pjbarb

pjbarb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the ideas, the brooder is big they have plenty of room to spread out. Today when I came home from work I tried putting the isolated one back and it immediately went to pecking the others. I can't find a red bulb(that isn't a 250watt heat lamp) that is strong enough to give off some heat. I guess I can pick it up higher but it seems to heat the whole area and there is no place for them to get away from it if they want to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by