New chicks next weekend

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4stakes, Feb 9, 2013.

1. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We want to put our new chicks in the garage that is attached to our house. The brooder is 30" x 55". I bought a Eco Glow20 to use for heat. My question is does it have to be 50 degrees to work? Right now the garage stays between 40 - 50 degrees with outside temp around 30. Will I have to use a heat lamp also?

Thanks for your help
    Kevin

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Kevin,

You will need to place a thermometer at the level the chicks will be. Rule of thumb, 1st week chicks should be at 95, then you can lower the temp by 5 degrees per week. You can buy an inexpensive heat lamp at TSC or fleet farm (the kind that have the wide reflector) and a red heat lamp for less than 20 total.

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I have never used an Ecoglo so only know what I've read. It heats by contact, like being under mom. You are not trying to heat their brooder with it. I'm sure they recomend the 50 degrees because it can only do so much. Might wrap a blanket around your brooder to help keep it a little warmer. Leave some ventilation though. Don't think the heat lamp would be necessary unless it's really cold in the garage. And put a lld on the brooder, they will escape when about a week old.

4. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    Thanks for your help. We decided to put the brooder in the basement for a couple of weeks. We hope the weather warms up to move to garage by then. NW IL weather we never know what will it will bring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by