New chicks not eating/drinking?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lysette85, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Lysette85

Lysette85 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2012
    New York
    My new 10 day old brahmas and Wyandottes have been home for about 4 and a half hours and have yet to eat or drink, they're warm enough-not piled atop each other or going away from the heat-so should I just chalk it up to them having a rough day and being tired? Do chicks normally sleep all night and get active in the morning? All they want to do is sleep.

2. kdwag

kdwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    Mine did the same thing, and I do think they get worn out from the change. I put small pieces of tin foil in their water because I read they like shiny objects. It did attract them to their waterer and they started drinking. I also dipped their beeks a couple of times,,not sure if that worked or not, but I also got a packet of electolyte solution to add to their water and that made a huge difference once they started drinking. once they started drinking water, they began eating more. They did sleep all the time for about the first week.

3. Lysette85

Dec 16, 2012
    New York
    Okay, I figured. I did see at the place I got them they had the same feeder/waterer we had so they must know what it is..I already had the electrolyte mixture in their waterer before they got here as I wanted to be sure they stay hydrated. It's good to hear that it's not just mine that acted this way. Hopefully in a few days they will perk up and be the handfuls I hear so much about!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think it's just the change of address if they otherwise look fine. You might dunk their little beaks in the water again to stimulate them.

5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

they are probably just tired.

6. Lysette85

Dec 16, 2012
    New York
    Yep, that must have been it-they're eating and drinking (and pooping) like crazy now. Their fluffy butts need an off switch!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Chicks eat one meal a day only. They start with it in the morning and they stretch it out all day long with little breaks in-between. Then they do it again the next day.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by