New chicks now 24 hours old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iluvmychickens, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I am a first time chick owner. [​IMG] 8 of the eggs hatched yesterday. Mama is stitting with the babies, or should I say they are all up under her. So my questions are.

1. How close do I keep food and water to the Mama and the chicks.

2. They are up off the ground by 8-10 inches. I do have a board about 5 inches across the front. If they get out of the nest will they break their little necks if they fall?

3. Can the new chicks eat watermelon & strawberries or do I just need to get them some starter feed. Mama eats a 3 grain scratch and I was thinking of grinding it up for the babies.

I do not have a rooster so I purchased 10 fertile eggs they were a variety of eggs. 1 egg cracked in a week so I have 8 chicks right now and one left to hatch. I know for sure there are 2 black silkies, some Wyndotte's (?) and cochins's (?) I purchased the eggs from a lady on ebay. She marked the eggs for me but the markings wore off and like a dummy I did not write down what I was getting. The last egg to hatch is marked b slk . I appreciate any and all advise you all can give me.

DeeDee [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hi DeeDee.....congrats on the hatch. Ok, I will try to help with your questions....
    First.....is there a way you can make momma and babies a nest on the ground? They would be safer there.
    You need to get some chick starter for those babies....momma can eat it as well, and it needs to be offered 24/7 along with water. Once the babies are 2 days old, they will need feed and water as well. Will they be able to free range at all? Out in the grass? I have a momma hen with 7 babies..they are RIR/mix...they are completely free range. Momma is teaching them to forage, and run for cover. She takes them back to the coop at night, and settles in the"nest" on the floor I put in for her. I do offer them starter in the morning...and in the evening, but most of the day, they eat whatever she eats including fresh veggies I throw out to them all.

3. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I decided this morning that I did need to get her nest lower. She tried to get the babies back in her nest and they are to small to hop in. I am going to get Chick Starter as well...I tried to make my own from a website I found but the timeframe to o it didnt mesh with my scheldule as I work. They do not free range at all. I do let Mama out daily to forage in the backyard for about 30 minutes to an hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by