New chicks! Now, uhh, what the heck are they?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Whisper, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Whisper

Whisper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Well, my new chicks arrived safely on Thursday, and they've been stuffing themselves on crumbles ever since. I'd forgotten how fast they grow, they're already growing in wing feathers!

Some of them, we're having a very hard time figuring out what they are. We know the Salmon Faverolle, the Black Langshans, and the Buff Brahma. But . . . what's extremely tiny, gray, with black legs and beak, and exceptionally short and sleek baby fuzz? (it looked like it had a crew cut, on day 1) It's the smallest of all our bantam chicks, by far, also the most inquisitive and fearless.

[​IMG]

The Three Amigos bantams look sort of like Sebrights, we think. But one of them is a gorgeous chestnut color and all of them seem a bit overly dark. Whaddya think?

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of our Black Langshans . . just because she's gorgeous.

[​IMG]

This little chick, we call Spangles, because of the pretty red on cream coloring it has. I suspect it's one of the pied-looking breeds like a white-laced red Cornish bantam.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of our packing peanut roos. They're fairly obnoxious. We call them things like Cacciatore, Stew, Alfredo, Gumbo, and Teriyaki. They're going to be separated from the bantams soon, as they're bullying the small guys.

[​IMG]

That's enough for now, I guess, hubby is complaining about my typing while he sleeps, lol. Aren't they all gorgeous though???

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The first pic looks like a lavender chick, maybe OEGB?? I know they come in lavender. And the second pic looks like golden sebright chicks. Just guessing! [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They're all adorable...even the dinner crew. I love that first little gal the best though...not sure why...

4. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    im not sure what they are, but their C-U-T-E
    xD

5. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    they are cute... I hope someone can help you

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    They are darling, but I don't know what they are. You might try this thread over in the "What Breed or Gender Is This" section for more responses. There are tons of knowledgeable people over there who get a kick out of helping figure out the breeds.

[​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    no clue.

sorry.

Oh, they are awesome and if he's really asleep he shouldn't be able to hear you typing..... [​IMG]

8. Whisper

Whisper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    LOL, as soon as I went to bed, hubby started snoring! Not fair at all.

Couple more pics, cause I'm braggin on how adorable my babies are.

Here's my Buff Brahma pullet . . . we call her the mutant cow. If you look at the second pic, you'll see why. She's got a deformed foot. [​IMG] Very calm and placid though, poor thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'll email Ideal and tell them about that. I didn't notice until Friday night when we took all the pics.

Here's a pic of our little Polish baby. I guess it's going to be buff? Or buff laced? Not sure, but it's adorable. We're keeping it, roo or not.

[​IMG]

This chick is the one we almost lost. It spent the first day just staring at the sky, lost and sick-looking. It took lots of forcing it to drink and redirecting it to the food and water to perk it up. It's also a very small bantam, a gray color, but it has a greenish-yellow undertone to the gray. Very odd!

[​IMG]

This is our Salmon Faverolle . . the kids say that the breed sounds like a fancy fish sandwich, so of course they call her Sandwich. She's a prissy little thing. You can see her little cheek muffs and her fluffy little legs.

[​IMG]

This poor chick has nothing special about her, lol. She could be any one of half a dozen breeds. Her head is wet in this photo, I think she got dunked in the waterer.

[​IMG]

And last, but not least, our bantam feather-footed surprise. I guess she'll be a white cochin bantam? She's feathering out white, anyway. We were happily surprised to get the wide variety that we did. It made the whole endeavor more interesting!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking at my little spoiled chickies!

9. Hopefully

Hopefully Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Quote:aww sure she does! This little chick wanted to make sure the feathers were nice and slicked back for the photo [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  10. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Your gold masked chick without feathered feet definitely looks like a Golden Sebright. Our sebright chick looked exactly like yours when it was that young. The golden sebright chicks I've seen have never been without the gold mask, so I don't think the chick on the right is one and I can't really see the chick in the back unless that is your buff brahma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by