New Chicks! Okay to introduce one chick a week later?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by finallyinATX, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Buff Orpington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Speckled Sussex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. finallyinATX

finallyinATX Just Hatched

Feb 13, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I am so excited! I FINALLY got my chicks! I have a Barred Rock and an Americauna which were born on 2/8. I bought them and brought them home on 2/13. On 2/17 I am going to get a Speckled Sussex chick. It will have been born sometime this week. Do you think it will be an issue introducing one chick to the other two chick 5 days apart?

By the way... I AM SO EXCITED! I have been wanting chickens for a long time and it's finally a reality!

I was choosing between a Buff Orpington and a Speckled Sussex. I think the Orpington is beautiful but the guy at the General Store says they get pretty big. Poll below!

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    In a small flock like yours, I don't think you can go wrong with a Speckled Sussex. I don't have any now (Hmmm, maybe I should remedy that.....) but I sure did like the ones I had! They looked like dappled sunshine out in the yard, and they were curious and friendly - always had to be right there to see what we were doing. They got along great with the others out there, which is always a bonus.

You can put them together. I did it all the time...adding a chick or two that were of different ages....as long as the difference in ages isn't too great. A week? Yeah, no problem!

3. finallyinATX

Feb 13, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thank you for the advice! I love the description of "dappled sunshine!"

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree, they're young enough to all be put together with no issues. Just be sure you have plenty of space for everyone.

I agree, speckled Sussex are some of the more "eye candy" birds out there. And so friendly, nice backyard birds.

5. finallyinATX

Feb 13, 2017
    Austin, TX
    So I added the new baby Speckled Sussex to the crew yesterday and she just passed away in my hands.

The only thing I noticed yesterday was she had trouble keeping her balance when she would scratch or shake her head. I was gone today but my husband said he saw her chasing the other two chics around. When I got home I she was asleep and thought I'd give her a little attention so she slept in my hand for about an hour. I went to place her back in the brooder and I noticed she didn't wake up. I kept an eye on her and she was unresponsive to the other chicks too. I took her out of the brooder and it seemed like she was grasping for air and shaking her head. She wouldn't open her eyes either. I dipped the tip of her beak in the water but she just kept gasping and jerking. I rubbed her head gently and she finally stopped gasping and jerking, opened her eyes and then passed away.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sounds like she may have had a blow/peck to the head that caused brain damage. Was she acting like that before you put her with the other chicks?

7. finallyinATX

Feb 13, 2017
    Austin, TX
    She was wobbly before I introduced to the other chics and I sat next to the brooder for hours to watch her. She was wobbly but not unresponsive and lethargic. I am not sure if being unbalanced is normal for a baby chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by