1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chicks one not doing well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dickies chics, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dickies chics

dickies chics Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Baldwinville MA
    I had two serama eggs hatch about two days apart, the first was born the day after christmas. the second one seems to be doing fine, I have witnessed it drink on its own. The first chick I have not seen eat or drink, she seems weak and is often found on her back. If I pick her up and put her on her feet she stumbles around for a little while then I find her on her back again. I have helped her drink and she does take in water when I help. Any ideas what I can do to help her would be great. I almost forgot when she hatched it took a long time and after starting to pip for over 24 hours I had to help her open a hole in the egg, but she did most of the work herself.

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Poly Vi-Sol and make sure it is drinking. That's about all you can do. I have only been able to save one that has done that. Good Luck. Hope the little thing makes it.

3. dickies chics

Nov 7, 2009
    Baldwinville MA
    what is poly vi-sol?

4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:I believe it is a vitamin for young chicks, to give them a boost [​IMG]

5. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    And make sure you get the kind without iron. [​IMG]

6. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Poly-Vi-Sol is a liquid vitamin for children. You can get it at WalMart, etc. It come with or without iron. Be sure to get the one without iron for your chicks.

7. dickies chics

Nov 7, 2009
    Baldwinville MA
    To late. my first baby chic passed away before I could do any more. I hope the second chick does ok.

8. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

You might want to get the polyvisol (no iron) anyway. If you're concerned about the other chick you can go ahead and give him/her a drop each day.

9. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Also, it might be helpful to put the chick starter in a blender to make it finer -- I know I had to do that for my quail, as the crumbs were too big for their tiny selves...and I'm thinking Serama chicks would be small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by