New chicks..one sneezing. >>Bought Duramycin10 to treat, help with dosing plz!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clarissa317, Aug 24, 2013.

1. clarissa317

clarissa317 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    [​IMG]

I had found what looks like a Barred Rock (maybe mixed) two days ago and decided to get another chick for it. Ended up buying two for it [​IMG]. The Barred Rock is very active and began to peck the other chicks when I put them in with him (or her). I'm going to watch them for a while to make sure he/she calms its pecking. However, the two new chicks I bought seem to be a bit inactive. At the store, they seemed fine running around in a pen with the other chicks. Here at home, they are just standing kind of huddled with eyes kind of closed and one seems like she's sneezing. They chirp just a little bit but other than that, they don't do much. I've never had baby chicks before so I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for their first day home or if something's wrong with them. I don't know what to think about the sneezing though so if anyone could help me on that. I just took out the Barred Rock so the other chicks can get a chance to eat as the BR was being a little stingy with the food. It hadn't ate in who knows how long before I found it. The BR has been out for about 20 minutes and the other two chicks are still huddled, not eating. The sneezing one just has its eyes closed and still sneezing. I believe the sneezing one is the white-ish Ameracauna and can't remember what the brown-reddish one is. By the way, that's my black Lab Stinky being nosy.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. clarissa317

clarissa317 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a heat lamp, I can set it up for them. I just don't get why the first chicken I found is walking around and chirping but the other two are inactive. They seem around the same age since all 3 have baby fluff with feathers growing out on the wings and back. I just got the two chickens this morning and the sneezing was almost right away as they got home. Hopefully, they aren't sick. I'll set up the lamp for them though. Thanks

4. clarissa317

clarissa317 New Egg

Aug 24, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    I got my old turtles heat lamp going for the chicks and switched them to the warmest room in the house. I took the chicks outside today and the mostly sick white Ameraucana chick seemed quite energetic. It was 102 today in Dallas so I'm sure they enjoyed the afternoon warmth around 90whatever degrees. Anyway I went to the feed store and talked to them about the chicks behavior, they gave me Duramycin but I'm not sure how much to put in their water. The dosages on the bag are for big amounts of water. I would hate to make so much and then have to throw the water out after 24 hours. Anyone know how to give smaller doses? My 3 chicks are around 3(or 4) - 5 weeks old. Also, I'm wondering if it would be better to just give them duramycin treated water through a syringe separately..? I want to give just a bit to the other chicks since they have been exposed to the mostly sick chick and have tiny sneezes every now and then but not as much as the Ameraucana.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What is the dosage? How much product to how much water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by