New chicks or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carolagirl, Aug 24, 2010.

1. carolagirl

carolagirl New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    We recently had 3 pullets taken by a 'coon. We have 2 full-grown hens, a barred rock and an auracana. The barred rock started laying 2 weeks ago.

I would like to get a few more chicks...I read in a book about raising backyard chickens that we could shove the babies under a hen (already laying) in the middle of the night and she will mother them. Has anyone ever tried this and been successful?

I can't take any more disasters and am thinking of staying with just the 2, but we really wanted lots of eggs!

2. stallionhawk

stallionhawk Out Of The Brooder

A hen has to be broody, not laying, to accept chicks and evan then it does not always work. Your breeds are bred for laying so they may not go broody. You could always brood them in the house or buy ones that are already grown.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    if a hen is just laying,she will not be on the nest at night after dark...also, I have had friends try to put little ones under the hen that is broody(meaning she is ready to hatch) and some hens accept them and some not so much....

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    As much as I would love to enable you to get more chicks....I think you should wait till spring and see if your laying hen goes broody. Mine did right about April. It is wonderful to watch them with the babies.

If you cannot wait then get the chicks but be prepared to be your own broody hen and raise them till they feather out and can live outside.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by