New Chicks, Panting With Mouths Open

jason9111

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
I just some chicks yesterday. They are not bitties as they are several weeks old and coop ready. In the afternoon, it is about 90 degrees in Fayetteville NC this time of year. They constantly have their mouths open like they are panting like a dog. Wondering if they are getting too hot? They have plently of cold water, just don't want anything to happen to them. All 4 of them are doing this. I am going to post a pic of my coop and I am wondering if they are not getting good ventilation because of the OSB siding around the ground. I intend to vinyl it tomorrow, but I am considering just running wire all the way down if they are getting too hot. Need some suggestions. Thanks

55485_chicken_coop.jpg

They're probably fine, but a cheap plastic enclosed box fan wouldn't hurt. Looks like you have good ventilation and it'll be impossible to have absolute perfect conditions in an outside environment with seasonal changes. Lots of animals pant during the summer and it doesn't always mean that they are "too" hot.

It's perfectly normal for them to be panting when they're hot. You're also likely to see them sitting with their wings held slightly away from the body, which is another way chickens cool themselves.

Just make sure they have plenty of shade, and change their water frequently to keep it cold, even adding ice. Sometimes it helps to put jugs of frozen water in their coop so they can lay next to them to keep cool. A mist sprayer or sprinkler, as long as they can get out of it, is also helpful. Just the proximity of cool water can cool the air temperature. You don't want to have everything soaking wet though, with no way for the chickens to be dry.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Post script: If you use a fan, it needs to have a tight cage around it so they can't peck into it (disaster!), or place the fan somewhere you know they absolutely cannot access it.

Back
Top Bottom