1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks pecked by older chickens/guineas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SarahBethsMommy, Mar 9, 2015.

1. SarahBethsMommy

SarahBethsMommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Hi all! I had 5 new chicks that I was introducing to my flock. I have 4 older hens and 3 guineas (that adopted my house and I can't get rid of them) in the area where I had the new chicks. The young ones are about 7 weeks old. I had them in their box with a lid on it and placed that into the coop with the others. I was planning to leave them there for about a week or two and then slowly allow them to intermingle. Something happened (still not sure what) and the lid got off the box and two of the chicks were killed and two more were pecked pretty badly. I found them within about 3 hours (we had gone to church... I checked before church and found them like that after). So I immediately got the three remaining young ones back into their box and brought them inside. I cleaned their wounds with saline and doctored with neosporin ointment. One is only pecked on her wing a small amount under that wing... it isn't too bad. The other's whole back is bare of feathers and was bleeding pretty bad from the tail area. The third is not harmed at all.

My question is, should I keep the three inside with me and continue doctoring them daily in this manner until they are completely healed and then try to reintroduce them again in the same way (obvioulsy, I will figure out a way to better secure the lid) or should I do something different. I have a feeling it was the guinea's who did the serious damage. I feel so bad. The two that died are constantly on my mind. I keep trying to figure out how the lid got off and why they got so hurt in such a short time. This is obviously my first time of introducing new chicks to the flock. None of the hens I have now have ever been broody.

2. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    Ive tried adding chicks and had the same problem. Ive learned when introducing new chickens its best that they be similar in size, so little pullets wont get sized up my bigger chickens and get picked on, literally. I build a chick pen outside next to the coop with a little coop for them so they could all get use to each other without getting a hold of each other, at lest for a couple weeks till about the same size..I would keep them away from the old ones till they heal up and bigger...hope this helps

3. perfectpeep

perfectpeep New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Doctor them inside till their wounds are healed. Dont put them in so young 8-10 weeks is good. Thats when I put mine in, but put them in at night when all the hens are sleesleepig. Remember they re astablusing the pecking order. But if theres blood get them out EMEDITLY.

4. SarahBethsMommy

SarahBethsMommy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2013
    Thank you for the replies! One more question, should I keep them in a place without dust or shavings while they heal? The crate I have them in I have shavings in there and I'm wondering if it could be bad for them to keep getting on their wounds and getting them dirty. I've read differing opinions about covering the wounds. Right now they are open (not covered), but haven't been bleeding.

5. Hmm? In my own experience. I was given a rooster that was attacked by a fox. His tail feathers where gone and very bad. Took me a month before I tried to let him socialize with my hens. If there's red, they will go for that bad spot. Blue kote I hear works. Couse I built a spot in my coop so he wouldn't be felt alone. Course this is a full grown bird. I hear 8 weeks is perfect to mingle them in but I will watch for an hour first and making a small place for the young ones to hide in case of this. Going to be a pecking order so I just watch first. Hmm bad idea about the 8 weeks. Where did this idea came from must be a rubber chicken! lol! My chicks are scared to death now. Definitely!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a peck!!!!!!!!!!! More like a body slam and execution style.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by