new chicks - pic!

joypeters

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
northridge, california
i received three from MPC yesterday, all wonderfully healthy as far as i can tell. but what do i know?

they are all white leghorns - you can see the little baby feathers in this pic.

joy
54814_img_0010.jpg

Quote:
Uh, love them, pay attention to what they need, get the butter hot in the pan and fry 'em up!

No really, just follow your common sense and all the advice you'll find here on BYC. Keep their water clean and their quarters clean. Feed them quality chick feed. Keep your dogs, cats and rough children away from them. Make their quarters escape proof.

That photo is CUTE!

thanks guys! i'm a photographer, so i will probably either scare them to death with my camera, or they will get used to it!

i chose leghorns because they are 'heat tolerant' and in the north san fernando valley it can get upwards of 110 in the summer. didn't want any 10lb hens sizzling in the coop!

but these little girls sure like the heat. my temp sensor says it's 100 degrees in the brooder, and they seem comfortable (not grouped together or panting). maybe my temp sensor is a bit off?

when can i let them out in the garden to crawl around? (my garden is all raised beds, so at this point they'd just be walking on the ground/weeds)

joy

I was going to say - that was an incredible photo! What size lens etc did you use?

I think I have leghorns too. I got the variety pack and have no idea what the yellow ones will be.

I don't think it is possible to over photograph the chicks - they will double in size in about two weeks.
Caroline

@caroline - thanks! i shoot with canon 5dMKII's but the lens was just a 50mm, because there isn't any room in the brooder for much else. if i'd had my wits about me when building the brooder i would have put it up on something, so that i don't have to lay on the floor to shoot.

@silkie - 3-6 weeeeeeeeks? ok. wow, that seems like forever.

Back
Top Bottom