New chicks pics. Feeling confused. 1st timer

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TXmama3boys, Jan 1, 2015.

1. TXmama3boys

TXmama3boys Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone! Is it too early to tell what breed and gender they are? My chicks are about a week old. The person I got the from told me that I got a straight run of barred rocks and sex links. I just feel these look a bit different from everything I've researched, but I am new to all this... so set me straight if I am silly. Thanks!

Chick 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't see any Barred Rock chicks, which are black with a white spot on top of the head in your picture. Did the person you got them from say whether your sex links were Black Sex Links or Red Sex Links? You could have some female Black Sex Links, which are black with no white spots on top of their heads, but there are a number of breeds whose chicks match that description. The top two chicks might be some type of Red Sex Link, but if they are Red Sex Links, they are males, which are whitish. Female Red Sex Links are reddish. Obviously, the person you got these chicks from has given you at least partially some incorrect information, and with all the uncertainty with your breeds, I think you are going to have to wait 5-6 weeks and post their pics again.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3

5. TXmama3boys

Thank you all! I do have black chicks with white spots on top of their heads and some white in their wings. I knew those were BR thanks to all of you BYCers descriptions! [​IMG] Well, it looks like I will be back for your opinions in a few weeks or so. I will post pic updates.

Happy New Year!

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    X4 on this good advice. Happy New Year!

8. TXmama3boys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The spots are yellowish... but these are BR, right?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, barred Rocks. We say a white spot on the head, but it can vary from white to cream to pale yellow.

10. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Barred Rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by