New Chicks!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tay26, Apr 13, 2009.

1. tay26

tay26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    soo.... yesterday (Easter) morning the main post office called with our chicks from mcmurray! All 27 were all alive and healthy but very hungry. Some of the bantam cochins were a bit wobbly before they got food but now theyre great. So fun too watch! [​IMG] We didnt get our free rare one but they gave us an extra BO male.
    You might be able to see in the first pic- some have a bloody spot on the top of their beak- is this from hatching? or from the others pecking at them?

We have black australorps, buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes, speckled sussex, and bantam partridge cochins:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] i just had to lol

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    They are so cute. I really like that brown/black one. Do you know what breed it is?
    Don't know about the blood on the beak, never had that with any of my chicks. Might want to watch for peaking and make sure they are not peaking each other.
    Just and FYI, that container will work for a very short time, they will outgrow that quickly. They also will start pecking if they run out of room so just make sure to give them more room soon.
    Congrats on your babies.

3. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    We got ours from McMurray yesterday also. I was very surprised when the postoffice called. She said they had the back room full of boxes of chicks! All of ours are doing well also. Good luck and hope you have as much fun as I've been having![​IMG]

4. tay26

tay26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks!

yea...this is only a very temporary area because i thought our other one was just a bit too big yet.

addicted2chicks- if you are talking about the brown/black one by the thermometer with the fuzzy legs then it is a partridge cochin bantam. I really like them- very calm and sweet. [​IMG]

5. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    [​IMG] They are adorable! I just hatched 3 the day before Easter! I think they are ALL cute at this age! [​IMG]

6. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    Oh my gosh they are precious! I see that you got the growgel from MM too. My girls really liked that stuff a lot. I have BO also and I love them. I don't know about the bloody beak but I'd watch for pecking...maybe they got bored on the trip home.

7. thekla

thekla Chillin' With My Peeps

I got mine on Easter morning too... or my brother did - LOL - I had a show in Seattle and got back at about midnight last night. They were all happy and active in their room - I was pretty sure that they wouldn't get here (Oregon) until at least today - but wow from what the package said it was shipped Saturday afternoon and they called here at 7 am yeaterday. I'm not sure what they all are since I got the mixed heavy breed straight run (also getting a bunch of pullets locally tomorrow and next week) but I am looking at the chick-pix and have an idea about several of them. I set them up in an unused back bedroom (with sink and outdoor access) by using a closed with doors off, lined it with scrap linolium, then cardboad (up to about 24" on the walls as well) then made a 18" solid barrier for the 4'doorway and also have a 24" barrier with screen for later) used the clothes bar to hang the heatlight. They have a 2'x6' area and I can easily add a "U" at the front later for more legroom - will take pics soon. It was pertty easy and almost free to set-up.

8. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    That little one in the third pic down is checking the temps, i hope they were right!

9. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Great looking flock!
    My RIRs have little red spots at the end of their beaks. Since they both have it I assume it is natural. They are very healthy and active.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by