1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks! *Pics*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormhorse23, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I got some new chicks. 3 buff brahma bantams, 3 frizzles, 2 silkies, and Ideal threw in 5 production red boyz. The reds won't stay! I already have a wonderful home for them (ok, until they get eaten). I wish I could get a good picture of my favorite. She/he is a frizzle. This thing still has it's egg tooth but it has so much fuzz on its feet, it covers the ENTIRE foot. It is the fuzziest. Maybe I could get pictures of it later. Here are some pictures. I wrote under each one what the babies are. SORRY for the dirty brooder in some of the pictures, some of them were taken before I cleaned it out.
    [​IMG]
    A Silkie and brahma snuggling up!
    [​IMG]
    The brooder. The 2 chicks are in the box because they arrived injured. One is fine now and is in with the others. The other chick now has it's own brooder set up and is touch and go for now. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My neighbors thought my beautiful silkie chick was deformed. They didn't believe me when I told them it was supposed to be like that. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of my production reds is considering a surgery to transform itself into a fish. I cautioned it to consider all the options b4 making a decision. [​IMG]

What do ya'll think?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    do you have room for them all? as i recall you only have room for 4 banties and you already have other chicks - cute, but how are you going to house them? also - that waterer isnt safe - they can drown that way

3. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    do you have room for them all? as i recall you only have room for 4 banties and you already have other chicks - cute, but how are you going to house them? also - that waterer isnt safe - they can drown that way

Were expanding it to 104sq ft. Also found some wire that is so much safer and will replace the chicken wire. On top of that, I found a cool large wooden box thing down at the barn and will convert it to another coop so I can add roosts. SeaStar and Fortune love the new babies. Already have the keepers picked out. The production reds are going to a new home and I already have people asking for the other chicks. I can't stand the thought of overcrowding my babies. So, 5 banties and 1 standard in a 104 sq ft pen. I love the look of haveing a lot of space and have learned a lot since the first round! About the waterer....I keep it only full enough to barely cover the bottom and refill it as needed. My family members are warming up to the chickens and my mom even said she likes them better than the dogs! She wants to rename Fortune and call her Big Mama. I said no way. After I showed her some pics of what these babes will be, she wanted to go to Lowes to look at stuff for them. Now i have to explain why we can't sell the dogs and turn the entire backyard into a chicken thing..... [​IMG] Then she was in the living room and Fortune was following me around. That did it. She's checking on them every few seconds and my younger sister is taking interest in feeding them! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  4. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Hey you are using shop towels aren't you! That is soo smart! Man how come I never thought of that! They would be way better than paper towels I bet. What a great idea! Paper towels users better take a note, use shop towels instead. Less slick, more absorbant, thicker, stronger and a nice blue color. I can tell you love your babies.[​IMG]

5. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Hey you are using shop towels aren't you! That is soo smart! Man how come I never thought of that! They would be way better than paper towels I bet. What a great idea! Paper towels users better take a note, use shop towels instead. Less slick, more absorbant, thicker, stronger and a nice blue color. I can tell you love your babies.

Yes. The shop towels work great. Cheaper too!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by