New Chicks & Pine Shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by she-earl, Feb 24, 2009.

1. she-earl

she-earl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    I recieved my chicks on Thursday. On Saturday, three died. On Sunday, two more. They seemed to be doing fine and then just wanted to sleep. They did not lay directly under the heat lamp so apparently were cold. No loud cheeping either. They are on pine shavings. I called the hatchery on Monday about what could be happening. The lady said that I should cover the shavings with towels so they could not eat the shavings. She said that eating shavings "plugs up" their digestive system. Does anyone have any comments on this? It was nice to have a day yesterday when no additional chicks died. Four of them were BR's and the last one was an Americana.

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Paper is often put down for the first few days, to help them find food and keep them from mistaking the shavings for food.

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I tried to move from paper to shavings last week. My 5 day olds still tried to eat the shavings. I put them back on paper. The older - 3 and 4 week olds - didn't find it as interesting to eat.

It is possible that they ate too much of the shavings.

4. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I got 10 chicks last Wednesday and they have been on pine (with a little cedar) shavings the whole time. I do see them pecking at the shavings but never eating it. I have only had 1 with a behind problem. Sorry I am no help. I did have one with a hurt leg and almost cried I could not image loosing any. I am sorry for your loss.

5. she-earl

she-earl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Lancaster County PA
    When using newspaper, do you need to be concerned about the chicks getting spraddle leg?

6. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    What is spraddle leg?

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:You have to watch them the first few days. While they are still getting their balance and coordination down. I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) yet.

BTW, where in Lancaster county are you? I am moving up to Reading in April. My sis lives in E fallowfield.

8. manchick

manchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Elkhart, IN
    I got 7 chicks from my local hatchery on saturday, not knowing any different I put them on pine saw shavings......My chicks seem to be doing great Eating, drinking jumping around, they loved the spikes I gave them........My brooder is small, but cozy maybe I just got good stock?[​IMG]

9. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    you should never use pine or cedar they put off chemicals that can kill anything if left on it for too long. When I worked in a pet store I cant even remeber how many people came in saying there hamster, bird, snake, mouse, lizard, etc. had died then showed me a tank full of cedar or pine. I mean they use the odor of cedar to get rid of roaches in the middle east that has to say something. If I was you I would just use newspaper or paper towels its easy to clean and very inexpensive. I use newspaper and then i sprinkle some alfalfa hay or timothy hay on the bottom for them to pick at or play in.

10. mgibbzzz

mgibbzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Somerset, OH
    We put ours on newspaper for a couple of days then put them on WOOD shavings. They are non toxic and won't hurt the chicks. We use cedar chips in our dog kennels to keep our fleas, but they are a big no no for the chickens. Spraddle is when your chick's legs spred apart from being on newspaper or a slick surface for too long. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by