New chicks- please help me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thepouts, Mar 16, 2013.

1. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Hi,

We picked chicks up today. One lot are 3-4 weeks old. They were running around when I bought them. I've since come home and they're not very active they just seem to be sleeping a lot. Is this normal? I've put their heads to the water and crumble and they appeared to have some. Otherwise they just sleep. Is this normal?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When it is nighttime they do settle down. See how they are in the daytime.

Be on the lookout for coccidiosis in chicks.

3. thepouts

Mar 14, 2013
    It's 4:40 in the afternoon here at the moment.

What are the symptoms of that coccidiosis?

4. ChickensAreSweet

Oh- here it is almost 11 pm. It is hard to say without seeing your chicks. It would concern me if you would classify them as "lethargic" or if you see diarrhea. Every 8th poo or so is a caecal (normal) liquid poo, but then the other poos should be normal.

Well, here is what to look for:

lethargy
    won't eat or drink
    sits in corner by himself with eyes closed
    feathers fluffed up as if cold
    bloody poo OR diarrhea (not all strains produce bloody poo)
    humans can transfer cocci into brooder even though cocci are in soil
    Usually affects chicks under 8 weeks of age, but can occur in older chickens when exposed to new soil (new strain of cocci) or if immunocompromised.
    They become immune to cocci eventually but if overwhelmed by the cocci can become ill and die within 24 hours.

Treatment is available - amprolium is what I use personally. You should see improvement within 24 hours with treatment.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  5. thepouts

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you. I'm in australia and have no idea where to buy it from...

I've never had chicks before so don't know what normal behaviour is. They're sitting a lot though. I don't know if that's lethargy or not

6. ChickensAreSweet

three weeks

four weeks

They DO sit down and sleep a bit, after a period of exercise and walking around. Especially if they are in a brooder and there isn't much to do or see.

7. thepouts

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you :)

They've been eating and drinking and standing up. I think I'm worrying about my little babies too much

8. franzman12

franzman12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Napoleon, Ohio
    It might be because at the store they were always awake with people walking around, and now there tired and can get some good rest.

9. thepouts

Mar 14, 2013
    I think this may have been the case. I don't think that they're living conditions were optimal, not even close. I wish I could have bought the whole flock but could only take 3 of them.

Glad to say they have not stopped eating this morning :)

10. franzman12

franzman12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Napoleon, Ohio
    That's how I felt today, already had 26 babies at home and went to tsc and they were crowded, there water was full of pine chips, and it was dirty. I was only able to take 6 but I'm sure some space was freed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by