New chicks pooping in nest...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylilchickadee, Sep 21, 2009.

1. mylilchickadee

mylilchickadee New Egg

Feb 16, 2009
    Please help! I have 4 established hens (1-RIR, 1-EE, 2-silkies, all layers) and 2 weeks ago added 2-EE. The 2-EE are 2 months old and have taken up residence in the laying nests and are using it as a TOILET. As if chickens weren't nasty enough, this is a new low! I am pulling my hair out - what can I do??? HELP!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

not a lot you can do unless you can prevent them from getting to the nest boxes.

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I'll disagree with Chickens being nasty (although the coop can certainly smell bad!). Your EEs may just not be ready to roost yet at that age. You may luck out and see them up on a roost in the coming months. Chickens poop while they sleep as much as they do when they are awake so it's going to happen as long as they are sleeping in the nests. Also at 8 weeks old they may still be on the chilly side and roosting in the nests is warmer than roosting on a shelf or bar. My bantams roosted in the top nests all last winter to keep warm since the big hens used to not let them cuddle up close.

4. mylilchickadee

mylilchickadee New Egg

Feb 16, 2009
    I think they are afraid of the other 4...I think I may just put them back into the smaller pen I had them in, in the beginning. I put them in that small pen, next to the other chicken pen so they could all get used to one another. The older ones aren't picking on them and I do see them down on the ground, eating and drinking.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by