New Chicks, Quarantine and Corid Treatment

jtmorgan86

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
Hello All, looking for help and advice! I am completely new to chickens! I have 6 9 week old chicks out in their coop! Doing well and happy! I decided since that batch went well I wanted to go get some more. 🤦🏻‍♀️
So I picked up 4 silkie chicks that are supposedly 4-5 weeks old and that’s where I went wrong!
I have them quarantined! They have not shared space with my others and I change my clothes if I handle the babies. They have been here for a little under a week. They came to me covered in feces and started pooping blood every poo 24 hours in. So I did start corid treatment. Knowing 1) I didn’t have a vet confirmed case 2) that there are mixed threads on treatment of babies. BUT I had to try to do something ASAP I seriously thought they were going to die and not make it through the night! I shouldn’t have taken them in BUT I couldn’t leave em behind 🥺.
So here we are day 5 of corid treatment. Poop looks good! They are eating and drinking scratching around in their brooder. What should I do now? Should I drop the dose and continue? Should I stop completely and use a probiotic? There are so many different ways written about treatment. I’m so confused. I have been doing
Liquid dose:
2 teaspoons per gallon.

Also now that they have been treated the 5 days can I bring them outside in a different area from my older birds? I can bring them to the front of the house (I have a secured pen). Or is that too risky? I’ll also add they are terrified of me so now that they are settling I want to spend more time with them. I’m stressed and struggling! Opinions? Help? Ideas? Sorry for the long post! THANK YOU

Last edited:
I'd keep them separated another week and then start doing the 'see but don't touch method'.
You can take them outside, that shouldn't be an issue
Thank you for your reply! I agree I definitely want to keep them quarantined another week. Just didn’t know if the front yard would work. And I am also glad your think the see no touching method is ideal. I have been reading about it. I think it makes the most sense and makes me the most comfortable introducing them!

Thank you for your reply! I agree I definitely want to keep them quarantined another week. Just didn’t know if the front yard would work. And I am also glad your think the see no touching method is ideal. I have been reading about it. I think it makes the most sense and makes me the most comfortable introducing them!
you're welcome, it sounds like you have it well under control!

How are your chicks doing?
They are doing well! One of my chicks did develop what seemed to be vent gleet last week. I posted here on a different thread. I did a few days of ACV and yogurt. Seemed to help regulate. I think in the future if I do a treatment of corid I will automatically follow up with that to restore good a gut. Still monitoring the vent. We are still working on outside time, going out for part of the day back in for bed time. Going to set up a pen area in the run sometime this week. I’m going to try out see no touch method inside the run for introducing them to the older birds.

Back
Top Bottom