1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mkh16, Nov 3, 2015.

1. mkh16

mkh16 New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    We had a hen that just hatched two baby chicks. What do we do to care for them? Do they need special food or will their mother hen take care of them like she has been?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    When I have chicks in my flock, I put the whole flock on chick starter (unmedicated) or Multi-Flock Crumble just to make things easier. Of course, if you do this, you'd want to offer oyster shell on the side for the layers.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I also feed everyone Flock Raiser until the chicks are grown, with oyster shell on the side. mary

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I don't do anything different except maybe some extra treat of egg yolk or maybe yogurt or fermented grains for younguns; mom picks up stuff for them and if its something big, she breaks it up for them.

I feed all grain and alfalfa pellets with oyster shell. Fermented feed on occasion, supplemrnted with fresh greens and free range options. No medicated feed, antibiotics, or immunizations; I'm organic :p

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by