New chicks scare me, wish someone would have told me.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emsdial911, Jul 22, 2010.

1. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I have been around a lot of chickens but I am new to having my own chicks. So I got my new chicks yesterday, everything is going fine till one decides to take a nap. I have read, on this forum, about people losing new chicks so it kind of scared me when I see one sprawled out, I think its dead. I nudge it and it hops up, what a relief. As I watch them today they are not as sprawled out as they were yesterday. They look more like sleeping chicks. [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

EVERYONE of us has had that moment of OH NO!! THEY'RE DEAD!! with our first batch o' chicks. Trust me.

In my case, there were 7 chicks in the brooder and four of them were surely, definitely dead, sprawled out in obvious little fuzzy corpses. One was even draped over the feeder. I shrieked and woke 'em all up.

3. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    ya, its kinda weird. Im on my first set of chicks too and last night one of them was burrying herself in the litter and lying in it and then rolling around in it. I got kinda freaked out! [​IMG] but really it was strange.. for a first timer anyways.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Now, THAT'S "dust bathing." Looks like a seizure, doesn't it! [​IMG]

5. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    I'm waiting to see one or a few sprawled out. Just got mine this morning, and so far, they've fallen asleep with thier beaks in the feeder, heads drooping down, standing up (which is funny watching them sway like drunkards [​IMG] ) and layin with one leg stretched backwards, but no sprawlers yet [​IMG] Probably see em more this evenin, as they've been super active since they arrived [​IMG]

6. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Wait till you seem them sleeping with their beaks buried in the bedding, and a leg kicked out to the side, and a wing bent back. The little ones seem to simply sleep in any position.

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Mine still do the Dead Chick Nap Sprawl at 12 weeks! I suck in my breath with fright and they pop up awake. Goofy dead chicks.

Jenny

8. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I love for them to go to sleep in my hands. They are just so cute....

9. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I had the nerve to go into Agway (the store that I ordered my chicks from) and tell them that their guinea hens in their brooder were dying! The worker rushed over before going "Um, Ma'am, they're sleeping". Duh! Their little beaks were face down and the legs were out! I'm surprised he even let me take any babies home. Must have been thinking "Silly city girl" [​IMG]

10. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yea had that happen to. They were all running around and then I see one laying flat with her leg streched up in the air, thought she was hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by