New chicks scooting on bottom.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lavender11, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Lavender11

Lavender11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    My chicks just hatched yesterday and two of them can't stand up. I suspect it's slipped tendons and have their legs splinted and they're in little chick slings bu it doesn't look good for them does it? I can't find much information that confirms their recovery. What causes this problem?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Splayed or spraddle leg is also common when their legs are too far apart. Bringing them closer together with tape or vet wrap for a few days may help. I would also recommend poultry vitamins, since deficiencies at hatch are common. Make sure they on on a non-slip surface which makes it easier to get their footing, not on newspaper. If you can post pictures, it may help. Here is a good link to read:
    http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. Lavender11

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    The legs don't look spraddled. They were just sitting back with their legs out front. I quickly put them in their seats so didn't take photos unfortunately. They are on paper towels over pine shavings. Thanks for your reply.

4. Lavender11

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    I managed to take a picture. I changed their tape and they seemed a little better so I'm hopeful after a few days in their chick chair they'll be okay.

[​IMG]

5. Lavender11

Oct 21, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    My two chicks are doing so much better today. Maybe it was splayed legs but I thought it would take longer to fix than nearly two days in splints and a chick chair.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is really great news, and thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by