New chicks seem very lethargic...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nasr69, Mar 21, 2017.

1. nasr69

nasr69 Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi All,
    Kinda a newbie. Growing up we raised RIR's but haven't had chickens in 25 years so I need some pointers. I just got my 2 week old chicks from Rural King today and they were all crowded together there. I got six of them and I have them in my 3 season room ( I am in central Florida) Anyway they are very quite and not moving. I do have a heat lamp about 18 inch of the tub they are in and the can get to the other end if too hot. I had about a 40 min ride home from where i got them and was told they would be fin in the box for the ride. Is this a normal behavior when they are transported to a new place? Is there anything I should do or not do? mI being overly worried?
    Thanks!

2. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Were they active and peeping in the store when you bought them? Did you dip their beaks in the water so they know where to find it? Be very sure they are not too warm...most of the brooder should be cooler with the smaller area under heat. Check for pasty butt? Good Luck

Maybe they are tired out from the stress and crowding at the store?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Need more details, where are they laying---under the light, cold end? Do you know what the temp is under the heat light on the floor? I have raised 1000's and have never used a heat lamp----just a regular light bulb screwed in removing the heat bulb and dropping the light lower to the floor to get about 90 degree's being they are 2 weeks old.

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Being they are 2 weeks old---should not have to do that.

5. biophiliac

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    So right, I overlooked that! LOL

1 person likes this.
  6. nasr69

nasr69 Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    Hi
    Thank you for the replies! All the chicks were lethargic at the store so I picked the ones who seemed more "awake" and I checked for pasty butt with each one I picked. The temp is 76 in the room so the tub would be a bit warmer. The are huddled(laying down) in the middle so I don't know if they are hot or cold. The lamp is at one end so they can get to the cooler side if they want. I did show them the water and I seen one actually drink but not the others. As for the tub its a typical 36x24 plastic tub. If I was to guess I'd say they are very stressed. I raise Finches and I can always tell when they are stressed. Any suggestions?
    Thank you!

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Hey, Where are they laying? You really need a thermometer to see. If they are 75 they are to cold. They Need to be around 90. If they are laying directly under the light it must be to cold, If they are laying in the far corner of the brooder away from the heat----they are to hot. I haul about 50 to 70 a week in my truck for over a hour---they are all over the place when we arrive----enjoying life-----hauling them a few minutes does not stress them unless you drive like my X Wife---LOL

8. biophiliac

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Your feeling about the stress, based on experience w/birds is likely correct. Something is going on with them. My experience is limited, but I thought chicks sold in those stores were only a few days old? If your chicks were 2 weeks old - how long were they there? And then you said the others were crowded and lethargic... I DO hope they come around for you!

9. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I am wondering if the Store was keeping them warm enough----yea most places sell them when they are only days old, BUT I have seen places trying to sell them at 3 to 4 weeks old. I commented to one that if he did not lower his price they might be laying before he sells them!! LOL.

I hope this poster just finds out they are too cold and gets them warmed up and they be OK.

10. biophiliac

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    she/he can't do any better than follow your advice!! I always appreciate your posts/insight. Do you think too cold bc of the lethargy? I was wondering if they are exhausted from a less than ideal brooding situation in the store, which would include improper temps and overcrowding? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by