New Chicks; Sex Link, Barred Rock, Buff, unknown--help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ColvinChickens, Mar 12, 2017.

1. ColvinChickens

ColvinChickens Just Hatched

Mar 1, 2017
    Justin, TX
    Howdy from North Texas!

So we are just 8 days away from closing and just over 3 weeks until we move into our new place in Justin. I have been collecting scrap wood and piece parts to put together a couple brooders until we are in the new spot. We picked up 11 chicks over the weekend as well--- I know what 10 of them are breed wise; all pullets too-- I'll need some help identifying the last grey/yellow chick. It's the only pullet with a name-- Mildred. She was the only chick of her kind and the lady at the store wasn't exactly sure. All she could tell me was that she was for sure a pullet.

The first brooder I made several changes to right off the bat. Will do the same thing with the second one we just slapped together. More than twice as large so the girls have a bit more space the last week or so before moving. Once we are moved in I will build a run and coop for all the girls including the 2 Barred Rocks that come with the house.

I hope you guys enjoy the pics!

2-3 day old chicks purchased 3/11/17:

• 3 Gold Sex Link
    • 3 Black Sex Link
    • 2 Barred Rock
    • 2 Buff Orphingtons
    • 1 Grey with Yellow face & Neck(help with breed)

[​IMG]
    My niece, nephew and daughter right when we got home from the store with the chicks.

[​IMG]
    Brooder propped up---You can see the water setup I put together-- they love it and it keeps the water from getting dirty.

[​IMG]
    First iteration before I made a hinged top with hardware cloth etc-- the chicks are happy and warm!

[​IMG]
    Brooder closed with the new hinged top.

[​IMG]
    Mildred-- the unknown breed. Any ideas????

[​IMG]
    Mildred is a cutie eh?

[​IMG]
    Buff Orphington pullet

[​IMG]
    Barred Rock pullet

[​IMG]
    Black Sex Link pullet

[​IMG]
    Black Sex Link

[​IMG]
    Gold Sex Link pullet

[​IMG]
    My 2 year old enjoying her baby chicks. She LOVES them!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sorry, I can't help on your chick ID. It seems that you have done a great job on your brooder. If i may be so bold, I'd suggest looking into your heat source positioning - it seems to be heating the whole brooder (or a significant part thereof). I could be wrong, it's just what the pics suggest.
    The idea is for a heat source to provide heat in one part of the brooder only - the rest, one should aim for ambient temperatures. This kinda mimics how a chick would act with a mother hen, i.e. duck under her when they feel a little cool, then come out and do "chick things", then go back under her when they cool down again.

Good luck with the move - must be very exciting times, I'm sure.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    kind of an inconvenient time to time chicks is you are moving. Hope they won't have issues. Chicks are much to young to ID in a positive manner.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Sure is a cute chick! Can't help with ID tho, sorry. Here's a good idea I use with my chicks. Lots of confusion and business when moving. Plus stress of new chick home. Go to tractor supply or your feed store and buy the smallest bottle of bovidr labs poultry nutri-drench. Give each chick one drop only by mouth. Put 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water for the next two weeks to get them off to a strong start. Then again for the first week you are in your new house
    That will get them off to a strong start. No other supplements needed. Just feed, drench water...and after one week old, some chick grit.
    HTTP://www.nutridrench.com
    Best, Karen

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  5. ColvinChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Justin, TX
    Must have been the angle of the picture! [​IMG]

I have the brooder lamp angled to one side:

[​IMG]

6. ColvinChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Justin, TX
    I also built a second larger brooder to move the girls when they outgrow this one. Coop will be built in roughly 4 weeks so the timing is spot on. Won't be a stressful move as both brooders can fit in the van and it's not too cold in North Texas. Chilly today but the chicks are very happy and content! All 11 are doing excellent. 3 of the chicks had poop stuck to their bottoms backing them up --- saw two of them the second day and one yesterday (day 3). Used warm water and a rag to loosen it up a bit to remove. One of them was very backed up; the second I removed the crusty poop it pooped a ton. Glad to have helped them.

Checkout the new brooder pics below. We are getting a second brooder lamp shade today as well. And possibly an Ameraucana chick or two if the store received any more today. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New simple feeder made with 3" PVC I found in a construction site trash bin and the bottom of a planter I had laying around...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pointing to where Gravity fed PVC water station will be installed --- Using poultry nipples. (it's curing right now) I have a small on in the little brooder as well and they love it!

Have a great day everyone! I'll post more pics when I move them into the new brooder.

-Justin

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  7. madelines hens

madelines hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    it might be a wyandotte but if not i don't know.

8. ColvinChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Justin, TX
    Thanks Karen I'll check it out--- I gave them some apple cider vinegar in their first thing of water. It seemed to perk them up and they seem to be doing VERY well. I'm not too stressed about moving them wither---- Everyone else seems to be worried enough for me already lol. I have 4-5 weeks until they will be moved. It will also be even warmer here in North Texas. The coop will be insulated, with vents and large enough to house 20-30 chickens. They will have a very large covered run to enjoy as well.

9. ColvinChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Justin, TX
    Yeah I agree could be for sure---- Time will tell right?

Fred's Fine Fowl (website) has a bunch of common chicks on video with some short descriptions. It also could be a Light Brahma or Lakenvelder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

Checkout the site--- pretty decent: http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/babychickidentification.html

10. ColvinChickens

Mar 1, 2017
    Justin, TX
    Here is the video of the Wyandotte:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by