New chicks - sexing, and age

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lablover, Apr 8, 2012.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    I just got 6 chicks that I think are Ameraucanas. I was told that they are 1 week old, but I have 1 that looks much larger than the others, and 2 or 3 that look much smaller. They were in the same box that some bantams were in, so I'm not sure if I'll end up with banties. When will I know which ones are hens and which ones are roosters?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  2. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I think it depends on what kind of chickens you did end up with. I have had some Silkies that I couldn't tell until they crowed. I have some D'uccles that I could tell at 4 weeks. My standard sized birds, sometimes around 8 weeks of age when saddle feathers come in. Good luck and enjoy watching them grow. It is almost like Christmas everyday!

3. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    Okay, thanks!

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Better pictures would help. You most likely got easter eggers, which are either Ameraucanas with the wrong coloring, or birds that someone bought from a hatchery/TSC that were labeled "ameraucana" or "araucana" (they are neither).

EEs have a wonderful color advantage - the boys grow in reddish feathers on the shoulders and back, while the females do not. My boys are growing in DARK red (brick colored) while the girls are light brown or salmon colored.

I have also found that pea comb breeds are distinctive - the male's combs raise off their "forehead" around 4 weeks, while the females' stay close to the head until about 18 weeks.

Male chicks also get "dinosaur legs" and do not grow feathers as quickly in their breast and down the back.

I have only raised a couple EEs so take this with a grain of salt, but I can tell at 3-4 weeks which of mine are male vs. female. I didn't do very well, I can tell you... I'll have a lot of soup pretty soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by