New chicks should be in tomorow leavem at the store for a few days ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eggscrement, Apr 24, 2011.

1. eggscrement

eggscrement In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    we are getting chicks from agway they should be in tomorow . my wife wants me to leavem in the store for a few days in case one croaks .
    my theory is to pic the best looking ones before they are picked over . we have our brooder all set temp is 95 under the light got starter food
    what should i do ? is wifey right again ?

2. WalkerH

WalkerH Songster

Chances are you leave them for a few days then there won't be many left. I know TSC around here sells out in a matter of days. Especially since it is near the end they are selling out in about a day.

3. eggscrement

eggscrement In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    this particular agway wont sell them to you unless you ordered them which we did 3 rhode island reds and 3 colombian rocks
    weve never had chickens before so its all new thanks

4. gertiie

gertiie Songster

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I say get them and keep the wifey away from them for a few days [​IMG]

5. WalkerH

WalkerH Songster

I would still say you are better off getting them now before people who have chickens have their hands all over them, never no with diseases.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  6. KFox

KFox Songster

Apr 19, 2011
    I agree with selling out. I went down the day mine were delivered and I didn't have many to choose from. I wish I had gone that morning instead of running errands first.

7. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:No! She's not right, you are. Go get your babies , they're waiting for you to rescue them!!!

8. I made sure I was one of the first customers on the first day of Chick Days at TSC, just so my chicks wouldn't be in that environment any longer than a couple of hours. I wanted them under my care as soon as possible. I think they will thrive better if they are where they will live out their life as soon as you can get them home. This time wifey is wrong.

9. homesteadinmama

homesteadinmama Chirping

Mar 30, 2011
    Merrimack
    Get your babies!!! [​IMG]

10. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Get them a soon as you can our first five (our big girls) we got them on day 5 and they were really skiddish and ran away I think it was because they were handeld wrong [​IMG] dropped [​IMG] chased [​IMG] and hurt [​IMG] I hate it when parents just let their kids do it but thats what happens to them during their chick days its sad [​IMG]

GET THEM AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by