new chicks sick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazyhen, Oct 20, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I have 7 baby orp. and one somewhere is pooping bloody poo also one is lig. poo. Is this normal? They are in a brooder never used before and have all new materials. They are on med. feed for littlechicks. Should I be doing more? Oh I put them on electrolytes and sugar water when I got them. Please help these are my first. The temp is doing well in my brooder . Jean

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    They have only eaten chick starter?? I know some brands of chick started (not sure which brands) have caused bloody looking poop in my older chicks but ended up being something in the food, Are you sure its blood ????

3. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    They have only eaten the starter. no other food. Jean

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Is the food medicated? Could it be Coccidia?

5. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    The food is medicated. The stool is mostly mucous. Now the chick seems tired and is staying under the light. All the others are further away and flying playing etc.

6. SundownWaterfowl

If you are seeing blood in the poop, I would treat for coccidia. I had to treat mine, I used Sulmet liquid, and the next day the chicks were fine.

7. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    how much sulmet do you use for 3 day olds? Is it the same as larger young pullets? How much per qt. Thanks jean

8. SundownWaterfowl

Add 2 tablespoons (1 fl oz) to each gallon of drinking water

Medicate as above for 2 days, then reduce amount of Sulmet Drinking Water Solution to one-half above for 4 additional days

That would be 1/2 tablespoon per quart.

9. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Should I keep them on the sugar/electrolyte solution with that as well? jean

10. SundownWaterfowl

I didnt when I treated mine. What kind of electrolytes do you have? Mine is by durvet and can be added to the food, that is what I did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by