New chicks,,,, still fun the second time.. and pic

jkm

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Forest Grove
Well you all know by now that my first batch of mixed feed store chciks truned out to be roos.
Have ben waitng for this batch, had to use the feed store, hopefully these are really Buff ORPs, and nice ones!
The feed store picked them up at ten, I had them home at 130, the store did not have the food/ water so all the chicks could reach it, they are very blase.
Mine came from right near the door and were hungry and very thristy.
After 5 hours in the garage in a box and heat lamp they perked way up.
I dumped the water in the cardboard box again, so out to the coop they went.
Its 74 degrees , will be warm the next few nights , no rain. I am playing with the position of the heat lamp, and will check on them tonight, can you tell I am a dog trainer /nurse yet?

So its fun again , hopefully three girls out of four, should I go back and get a few more? when can we really tell?

the watch sheltie kells is back on duty.

newchciks.jpg

I sure wish you luck this time around, jkm, you sure had a lot of time an effort expended. I answered you in the how much coop cost thread but not sure you saw.
I DO like your coop. And good luck with the GIRLS!!!
lol.png

Adorable Babies! I hope it goes better this time. Yikes, all Roos?! That's disappointing!

My mom used to have a sheltie. I love them! What great little dogs they are! And how very, very focused!

Coyote Magic, does that work for all chicks? Do the tails indicate girls? I have 2 out of ten with no tails, and very little feathering (They are.. 11 days old). I've sort of marked them out for roos, since they are also big, husky chicks. But they are Barred Rocks, so not sure if they count?

well they did ok last night, temp in coop was 75-85 this am, will move the light down tonight, 80 today, so they should eat, drink sleep and ppop in comfort all day.

cheers

weell i moved the heat lamp a fraction of an inch and I think they were more comfortable last night, still have all four, they are not getting as much handling as the ones that lived in the kitchen, but we sit near the pen and talk to them.

i am pretty wary of more roos, I may add two more to increase my odds, then if they live i need a bigger coop and a marketing program for all the eggs.

its 75 today, mom had me turn the heat lamp off then we had to turn it back on .
all is well

Last edited:
Good to see you got your little Buffs... and great to see Kells there, too.

I'll see if I can get a decent pic of our nearly 5 wk old Buff Orpington pullets and then will post it here for you. Ours seem to be a bit shy, although I was able to pick one of them up last evening.

FYI to the rest of the forum... jkm (aka Justine) and I know each other, having worked together for a short time, and also she served as my dog trainer for Sarah, my spinach fits... I mean Finnish Spitz.

If you want a really funny read... Sarah keeps her own blog and will sneak up to the keyboard when I'm not around.

Back
Top Bottom