New Chicks-The Natural Way!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bbRedMom, Apr 28, 2008.

1. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    One of my hens has been sitting on a clutch of about 12 for what seems like FOREVER. Well, I went ahead and divided up the coop and put in a door for when the day came, not really expecting it to.

Well I went out this morning to change out the water and fill up the food. She was still sitting there, and I went to give her scritches. She did not like that and shifted... and I hear many peeps! One little one managed to poke his head out from under momma long enough for me to see the cuteness! Luckily she laid in one of my "basket in a basket" nests, so I gently lifted and lowered the whole basket to the ground.

I also shooed the other five chickens onto the other side. They are NOT happy with having half the space, but its still a lot of room, so they can get over it. We had foxes and lost five, so I'm not letting them out until my work schedule lets me be home by dusk. Can. Not. Wait.

Now I so want to get home and fix it up for the chickies. I'm soooo excited! I've got pine bedding, chick feed, and a chick waterer. I've only ever raised chicks myself. Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  2. metcalfmk

metcalfmk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Yay! How eggciting!!! Enjoy your babies, I am sure mama hen will do a good job taking care of them.

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Congratulations! [​IMG]

I have 6 that are 1 week old today. It is really fun to watch the mama teaching them how to eat, drink and scratch! Mama makes some very interesting sounds and the chicks all seem to know what she is telling them.

4. bbRedMom

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    So I went out this morning, early while she was still sleep, and gently lifted her up long enough to count. Seven little chipmunk chicks! and 5-6 eggs still there. She started to fuss so I put her back. Then the chicks wanted out from under, so my little hen has corralling 7 curious chicks. When I left, two were peeking from behind her butt, and one from uder her wing.

*Sigh* its the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Question...They started hatching probably sunday night-when do I assume all the eggs are done? Last thing I want is a nasty rotten egg. Thanks!

5. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Congrats with your little ones. ? please what is a basket in a basket and could ya post of pic of one. Thanks

6. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    HHHHEEEELLLLOOOOO!! I am very sure it is against BYC rules to talk about chicks and poking heads out from under Momma and not posting pics. LOLOL!! Please show us how adorable all your babies are and enjoy them!!

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    How wonderful for you! You absolutely must post pictures.

Congratulations!!

[​IMG]

8. bbRedMom

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I'm taking pictures tomorrow, I promise! I couldn't find the camera, and realized I had left it at work. Tomorrow, I promise!

A basket in a basket is taking two of those baskets you buy peaches or other fruit in at a market. You then attach one basket to the wall. That way, momma feels secure being off the ground. Then you put the second basket inside the first one. Then when there are chicks, you can lower momma and crew to the ground with really disturbing them, or risking broken chicks. I works pretty well. I usually slightly tilt the basket when it is on the ground so the chicks can get out if they really need to, but its not so easy they wander off.

Sooooo cute.

Of course, the rest of the flock is really unhappy to be cooped up. I'm putting in a second door on that half of the yard, so they can range without endangering momma and chicks. I did not build this coop. It needs some major remodeling.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    How wonderful! I know you are so excited and proud of your new momma hen! Congrats! [​IMG]

10. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:When my hen hatched out her 6 little ones last week she sat for 2 days then left the nest. After she was off for several hours I knew she was finished. I removed the remaining 5 eggs and before throwing them away I cracked each one open to check for development. All 5 of the unhatched eggs appeared to be infertile. I just trusted the mama hen to know when she was done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by